WHEN AND HOW LONG OF A BREAK?

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
straightup
PV Nerd
Expertise: current high school vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14-3
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: lazaro borges

WHEN AND HOW LONG OF A BREAK?

Unread postby straightup » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:03 pm

hey ive been straight vaulting since the start of my season in november. my question is when is the best time and how long should i take off to recover. i am drained phsically and mentally. i have taken a day here and there off but not very often.
get over or get out

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: WHEN AND HOW LONG OF A BREAK?

Unread postby powerplant42 » Mon Apr 22, 2013 2:09 pm

Wouldn't the natural time to take a break be right after the end of the outdoor season for a few weeks?
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

EIUvltr
PV Pro
Expertise: Ex-collegiate pole vaulter B.S. Exercise Science ACSM personal trainer

Re: WHEN AND HOW LONG OF A BREAK?

Unread postby EIUvltr » Mon Apr 22, 2013 4:04 pm

Unless you're doing a ludicrous amount of straight poling, it's unlikely that is the cause of your fatigue. If you're really that drained you should probably look at how much sprinting you're doing, lifting and your programming in general. Also diet, sleep and stress management are huge.

You are likely overreaching a bit and a good rule of thumb is to take a week off or at least take it very very easy. A beach involved helps too. If you wanted to be more scientific about it, you could monitor heart rate variability to check the state of your CNS and endocrine systems but that can get kinda pricey. A week off should be fine.
"If he dies, he dies"

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”