Transporting Poles

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

MillerTime
PV Whiz

Transporting Poles

Unread postby MillerTime » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:13 pm

Ill be starting college next year, but ill still be coached by my high school coach, so i'll have to move between schools. do any of you guys have to do this? how do you take your poles back and fourth? i dont think theyll fit in my car :D
heyhey

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 9:48 pm

If you are only practicing there, just leave your poles there. If you don't have a coach at your university, don't waste your time jumping without a coach. Just leave a pole you don't use at the college for pole runs or something.

MillerTime
PV Whiz

Unread postby MillerTime » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:45 pm

im sure there is a coach at the college, but i highly doubt hes as good as my high school coach. the prob is, theres meets at the college that ill need my pole for. maybe i could hold the pole out the window with one hand, shift with the other, clutch/gas with left foot and stear with right knee. :D dont know if i could keep that up for very long though :p
heyhey

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:57 pm

I take it you are jumping unattached? If plan on jumping with the school, it sounds like you need to talk to the coaches there.

If you are jumping unattached when you have the opportunity to jump for a University, you are missing out on a great opportunity. If it sucked too bad you could always quit and train with your high school coach.

There are a couple threads on here about driving with poles. Use the search feature and find them.

MillerTime
PV Whiz

Unread postby MillerTime » Wed Sep 08, 2004 6:50 pm

this isnt a real big school, and i think it competes in the junior NCAA, NCJAA or somethin. there was a guy that came and practiced with us last year, and there was also a decathalon guy that did also cause they said our coach was better.
heyhey

vaultmom
PV Fan

transporting poles

Unread postby vaultmom » Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:35 pm

Get a pole bag or a cardboard tube or a big PVC pipe to put the poles in for storage... you dont want to damage them.

put your pole bag outside the doors of your car and attach it to the mirror or to the back door using bungees or towels shut in the window... makes a sling. YOu can tie it down more using tape if it flops about. YOu can do this on any small car. A van or an SUV we would put the bag onto of the car and use bungees. It is easier to attach on the top of the car if you have a lugage rack . I have seen them sticking out the bak of a truck window too leaning into the bed of the truck. good luck
Bob's Mom
Raise the bar

cdmilton
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 16-0(4.88)

Re: transporting poles

Unread postby cdmilton » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:37 am

A roof rack such as a yakima or thule are the best ways in my opinion to transport poles.

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

Poles

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:48 pm

If just a short distance, Jodie has opened her sunroof and stuck them out the sunroof and bungeed them to her passenger headrest...but that was only 2 or 3 poles! :P Looked really weird going down the street! :confused:
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19
The Sovereign LORD is my strength;
he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,
he enables me to go on the heights.

1yeldud1
PV Pro

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:16 pm

I would assume that jodie had the poles horizontal, resting on the roof of the car. If the poles were placed vertical thru the sun roof and lashed to the herad rest there could be a very dangerious situation with the poles possibly touching over head power lines.

jmayesvaultmom
PV Follower

poles

Unread postby jmayesvaultmom » Fri Sep 10, 2004 7:10 am

No...she had the bottom of the poles wedged back at the bottom of her back window above the back seat, then they ran beside the headrest where we bungeed, then they came out the sun roof at about a 30 degree angle to the ground. She has a little Honda Civic and the poles didn't stick up more than the top of any UPS truck or anything else. We did think about lines....and low bridges. She just did that for about 3 miles from home to school.... small low car, low angle. By the time you figure from the back window to where they started to come out the sunroof...on 13' poles there was only about 6' sticking out by then. I agree...those of you with big tall vehicles don't stick them out at 90 degrees...you will probably have major problems :dazed:
That's Jodie!!

A scripture that makes me think of all you girls and guys pole vaulting....

Habakkuk 3:19

The Sovereign LORD is my strength;

he makes my feet like the feet of a deer,

he enables me to go on the heights.

lianabean
PV Newbie

Unread postby lianabean » Wed Sep 15, 2004 9:25 am

I wrap towels around my poles, place the poles parallel to the car, and roll the window up on the extra towel. Sounds confusing I know, haha, but it has always worked for me. I've only used that method to transport 2 poles together though.
i'm officially obsessed with my sport

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Wed Sep 15, 2004 11:56 am

I have two ropes, tie up the pole on the passenger side of my car, one rope tied into a knot and put under the hood so it stays up there, and then I tie the other one to the back using the joint from the trunk door. works fine for me. kinda hard to explain like you said.
All Hail the Legendary Sobe Beverage

Blackened Sun - My Personal Site

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”