Pacer Poles (FX vs. older model)

A forum to discuss everything to do with pole vaulting equipment: poles, pits, spikes, etc.

Moderator: Barto

PVTEXAN
PV Wannabe

Pacer Poles (FX vs. older model)

Unread postby PVTEXAN » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:57 pm

I need some help with the various models of Gill's Pacer pole vault poles. My son currently jumps on 14' and 14'06" Pacer FX poles and is looking to move up to the 15' length this summer. Found a perfect Pacer pole (length, weight rating, flex) in used condition but it is the model previous to Pacer's FX technology - it is a white pole with a red label and blue writing (Pacer).

Does anyone know how far this particular model goes back? Any ideas on how this pole may react differently (good and bad) compared to our FX series?

I appreciate any opinions and experiences that the PVP community has to offer on the subject. Thanks again for being such a great source of information :yes:

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Pacer Poles (FX vs. older model)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:24 pm

I think the change from 14'6 to 15' poles will be a much bigger change than the change from FX to the previous model of Pacers.

Oldcoach
PV Nerd

Unread postby Oldcoach » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:16 pm

Gill changed to the red label with blue PACER when they rerated poles by the BestFlex system -this was late 1998. The FX came out in early 2003.
In our series in 2003 we had 14', 14'6 and 15' poles from this era Pacer, Pacer FX,Pacer Carbon, Skypole, and Spirit. My 2 guys never said anything different about the different brands only that they felt the change in stiffness that each one represented. I still own 2-14' and 1 14'6" Pacer from 1999 and they are still going strong.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:51 am

Tex, I don't have any hands-on experience with Pacers, but according to their video announcement of the FX series (and reading a bit between the lines), the "new technology" is nothing more than a consistent flex numbering system between poles of different lengths.

Unless I've misunderstood their announcement vid, I don't think the FX poles bend any differently than the old Pacers. I think their flex ratings just work differently.

Listen to the vid; ask Gill what the equivalent FX flex # is for the pole that you're considering buying; and if it fits in your series, then it should be OK.

Maybe someone here on PVP has the table that translates the old flexes to the new ones?

It's been over a year since I listened to the vid, so I might have missed something, so buyer beware ... check it out yourself!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

H.I.S.
PV Fan
Expertise: OCDPV
Favorite Vaulter: Howard Booth

Unread postby H.I.S. » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:54 pm

I think the biggest differnece in the older models is that they have a larger diameter? I may be wrong as I have little practice of experience with the old pacers but I agree with the transition to 15 ft poles will be harder to deal with than the model of pole

I wam very curious to know his progression in poles from 14 to 14'6 and soon to be 15 though. What is the length wieght and flex of his biggest pole now and what is the wieght and flex of the 15 you might buy
"Today I give my all, what I keep is lost forever"

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:58 pm

KirkB wrote:Tex, I don't have any hands-on experience with Pacers, but according to their video announcement of the FX series (and reading a bit between the lines), the "new technology" is nothing more than a consistent flex numbering system between poles of different lengths.

Unless I've misunderstood their announcement vid, I don't think the FX poles bend any differently than the old Pacers. I think their flex ratings just work differently.

Listen to the vid; ask Gill what the equivalent FX flex # is for the pole that you're considering buying; and if it fits in your series, then it should be OK.

Maybe someone here on PVP has the table that translates the old flexes to the new ones?

It's been over a year since I listened to the vid, so I might have missed something, so buyer beware ... check it out yourself!

Kirk

They only changed the flex system for the 12'6" and shorter poles, there shouldn't be any difference in flex numbers on 13'+ poles.

PVTEXAN
PV Wannabe

Unread postby PVTEXAN » Sun Jun 21, 2009 10:45 am

H.I.S. wrote:I think the biggest differnece in the older models is that they have a larger diameter? I may be wrong as I have little practice of experience with the old pacers but I agree with the transition to 15 ft poles will be harder to deal with than the model of pole

I wam very curious to know his progression in poles from 14 to 14'6 and soon to be 15 though. What is the length wieght and flex of his biggest pole now and what is the wieght and flex of the 15 you might buy

Per your request, here is the series of poles that my son has jumped on this year:

14' - 160 - 19.2 flex
14' - 165 - 17.1 flex
14' - 170 - 16.7 flex
14.5' - 165 - 18.8 flex
14.5' - 170 - 16.7 flex

The 15 footer is a 155 with a flex of 16-17. Due to the summer weather here in Texas, the poles tend to become a little softer and easier to plant when you are jumping at a turf stadium where the on-field temp is 110+. He is not blowing through the 170 yet, and I'm certainly not trying to push him on too big of poles too soon. I suppose that we could look at bigger poles in the 14.5 length, but thought this might be a great opportunity to experiment with the transition and keep the financial investment to a minimum :yes:

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:22 pm

How high does he jump and how tall is he?

PVTEXAN
PV Wannabe

Unread postby PVTEXAN » Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:37 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:How high does he jump and how tall is he?

14'06" is his competition PR - height: 6'00", weight: 145-150 - 15 years old (high school sophomore next year).

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Jun 21, 2009 2:40 pm

PVTEXAN wrote: Per your request, here is the series of poles that my son has jumped on this year:

14' - 160 - 19.2 flex
14' - 165 - 17.1 flex
14' - 170 - 16.7 flex
14.5' - 165 - 18.8 flex
14.5' - 170 - 16.7 flex

The 15 footer is a 155 with a flex of 16-17.

From JJ"s chart, here's the poles that he's used so far (the 5 thin red ones), and the pole that you're proposing to buy (the thick red ones). Ignore the green highlighting - that was on the table before I added the red lines.

The poles on each row is a similar stiffness. The top row is the lightest, and he bottom row is the stiffest. Each row is slightly heavier than the row above it and slightly lighter than the row below it.
PVTexan's Poles.JPG
PVTexan's Poles.JPG (12.92 KiB) Viewed 16574 times

What stands out from this chart is that the 15' 155 isn't the right progression for your son. If he needs something stiffer than a 14-6 170, then he should move up to a 14-6 175 or a 15-0 165.

You haven't mentioned a need to grip higher than 14-6 yet, but since your son's progressing so quickly thru poles, maybe his grip WILL be pushing the limits on a 14-6. So if that's the case, then a 15-0 165 seems like your best investment.

Keep in mind that these considerations are far more important than your original question - re the FX series.

PVTEXAN wrote: Due to the summer weather here in Texas, the poles tend to become a little softer and easier to plant when you are jumping at a turf stadium where the on-field temp is 110+.

It's a falacy that poles become softer in warm weather. The elasticity properties of fiberglass poles don't change when the temperature changes. What happens is that the VAULTER warms up his muscles better in warmer weather, and then runs, jumps, and swings better ... thus bending the pole more.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Oldcoach
PV Nerd

Unread postby Oldcoach » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:25 pm

Check the flex number on the 15'-155 again-- I have 2 pacers that are 155's and the flexes are 21.9 and 21.3. I have a 165 that is a 19.3. A 16-17 flex is going to be a 170-175.

PVTEXAN
PV Wannabe

Unread postby PVTEXAN » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:59 pm

Just wanted to provide an update and thank everyone for their input regarding my original post. I was able to successfully swap our 14'-155 FX for the 15'-155 older model Pacer with another member of the PVP community :yes:

OldCoach was dead-on with the flex number - no way it was 16 as advertised because my son was able to plant it the very first time!

RainbowGirl was dead-on with the transition issue - he is not used to having to drive so much longer to obtain proper penetration!

At this point (two practices), he has yet to complete a full vault with the new pole - he is only confident planting the pole and will need to work on the new timing before getting inverted. Any ideas or suggestions to help him through the transition would be welcomed with open arms :yes:

Return to “Pole Vault - Equipment”