PV Vocabulary

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

MLfanclub
PV Newbie

PV Vocabulary

Unread postby MLfanclub » Fri Sep 06, 2002 10:29 pm

behold, a loving community of pole vaulters! haha this is sweet. I've never pole vaulted but really enjoy watching a vaulter who is very special to me. I hope I wont be ostracized from the board. every sport has some unique lingo/phrases, for instance in basketball you can "school" someone, in tennis if you leave your opponent at 0 its not unheard of to hear someone say "I just tossed that guy a bagel" and in football a long pass has been dubbed as "the hail mary" or "a bomb" etc. there are are a million other examples, but what I'm wondering is, what are the quirky words/phrases of pole vaulting? slang words, trash talk, nick names, anything. aight thanks everyone!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Sep 06, 2002 11:18 pm

Keep it fairly clean guys. You can use any legitimate pole vault terminology, but don't cross the line into being nasty. Don't post anything you wouldn't want your imaginary 13-year-old sister to read.

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Sun Sep 08, 2002 2:45 pm

If somones really having a good day then they would be "crushing" their pole.
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

AmyPoleVault
PV Fan

:)

Unread postby AmyPoleVault » Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:45 am

Well there are many many many, words in the special pole vaulter lingo... Charlie, my coach, had some of the best ones! Fiber head: when you don't plant with a strong lower arm. :) Stutter step: exactly what it says... small steps right before the take off. Those are some of my favs. But then again Charlie gave us Indian names out of them. I was holy Stutter step... but thats a totally different story :D I'll think of some more later...
When the hurdles in life get to high... grab a pole

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Sep 09, 2002 11:59 am

Haha I have memories of Tim Reilly going "Holy helicopters!" after someone's vault. It was on tape so we watched it a couple times ;)

Haha like the time we watched video of... ohh I forget who, getting nailed in the balls by the plug end of someone's pole after giving them a tap. I think he actually had to go to the hospital to make sure he was OK!

Azbeachboy1
PV Follower
Expertise: College coach
Lifetime Best: 17’1”
Favorite Vaulter: Toby

Unread postby Azbeachboy1 » Mon Sep 09, 2002 12:42 pm

BUTPLUG! :dazed: HEHE it's just such a funny word.
Just fly high, and KISS THE SKY!!!

xtremevaulter

I got one!

Unread postby xtremevaulter » Mon Sep 09, 2002 1:34 pm

I have been looking through all the funny says my friends and i came up with and this one rocks. We were at a track meet with Lake Stevens and Arlington, and one of the L.S.H.S. vaulters was saying he wasnt feeling good that day and he was going to "stiff pole it" I always that that it was straight poleing. hehehe. Just thought i would share. ;)

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Sep 09, 2002 2:15 pm

Azbeachboy1 wrote:BUTPLUG! :dazed: HEHE it's just such a funny word.

Hehe I heard a funny story once about a guy who went in to a sporting goods store and asked if they had any buttplugs. He got some funny looks... :P

xtremevaulter

I thought of another one

Unread postby xtremevaulter » Tue Sep 10, 2002 11:15 am

This one is kinda funny but we laugh when we hear it at stanwood. You need More Penatration. ewwww thats dirty. :o

nzsprinter
PV Nerd

hehe

Unread postby nzsprinter » Tue Sep 10, 2002 2:26 pm

well in new zealand her call "buttplugs" bungs , i'm trying to think of more slang.. nothings coming to me ... thats not dirty hehehe hmm .. if something comes i'll post it

vaultfan

Unread postby vaultfan » Tue Sep 10, 2002 6:30 pm

Dunno if anyone will believe me on this one. While I was at the USATF meet in Omaha, one of the parents was critical of a vaulter's technique saying that she failed to do the "pelvic thrust" after penetration and did not get a good swing up. That was a new one to me!

mooski33
PV Nerd

Unread postby mooski33 » Tue Sep 10, 2002 11:59 pm

you know, most all polevault lingo is "dirty" if heard by person who unfortunately is not a polevaulter. I have alwasy liked dick henry's quotes..but I wonder whether becca would appreciate me posting them..we'll leave that up to her. As for nick names..I don't think I have ever acquired a sticking nick name..sadly once though, for reasons unknown to me, my coach called me chubs..beats me! Does anybody have any nick names? or know of any that are for me? pfhwha.."I'm tho excitded"

Return to “Pole Vault - General”