Terry Porter

A forum to discuss anything that has to do with pole vaulting that does not fit in the other forums.

Moderators: Russ, lonpvh

pole cat
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former Collegiate Vaulter (FSU), Coach

Terry Porter

Unread postby pole cat » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:49 am

So, I'm a vaulter from the state of Florida and I wen't to the San Marcos River Vault, (yes, that's a long ride-16 hours one way with Scott Crews) and I saw this older guy jumping with us and he had to be in his 50's. I was like there is no way this guy's gonna be able to run, much less put up a plant and not get his arms ripped out of his sockets or throw out his back. And I'll be darned if he didn't haul butt down the runway, put up a plant and roll through a 15-foot or so altius. Then I saw him take off his shirt and he didn't have no old man's body. He ended up jumping about 14'4" and coached more than half of the vaulter's out there. I asked who the name of this so-called super coach and learned it was Terry Porter, 1972 Olympian and owner of Altius pole company. I had never heard of the guy in my life but I probably should have. I guess because all of my meets are in Florida and the southeast I never heard of the guy. So this post goes out to all the Texas vaulters who know him, who the heck is this guy?

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Owner of Altius NO

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Tue Jul 26, 2005 9:57 am

Owner of Altius NO
Paul Richards is the owner of ALtius
However Terry has been helping Paul sell poles.
Terry was from Kansas Univ where I worked with him often on pole selection. He is a tough competitor and over the years (many) has gain tremendous experience in the pole vault.
He has coach many girls and guys to PR's.
IN 1976 he jumped 18'4" to make the Olympic Team so he is a bonifide Olympian.

To jump this high at his age and his help for others is attribute to his love of the sport.
Bruce Caldwell ESSX POLES
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

Scott Go Pre
PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Re: Terry Porter

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Tue Jul 26, 2005 6:09 pm

pole cat wrote:yes, that's a long ride-16 hours one way with Scott Crews

That was a long drive with Matt Hurley! Especially when he wouldn't let someone else drive!
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Porter

Unread postby Bubba PV » Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:27 pm

Terry is ageless and a fantastic guy that I've known for about 30 years. What you see is what you get. Another example of what's RIGHT with our sport!! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

invert07
PV Nerd

Re: Terry Porter

Unread postby invert07 » Mon May 24, 2010 6:32 pm

Terry was and is an amazing vaulter. And is an amazing coach if any guy has the chance to go out and work with him I would most deff. Go for it.
sic 'em!!

Today, talent alone is not enough.

-sergey bubka-

Return to “Pole Vault - General”