Pull turn?

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
eaglesrl3
PV Newbie
Expertise: high school
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: tom hitnaus

Pull turn?

Unread postby eaglesrl3 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:04 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-pCJmFxZUw&feature=youtu.be
The first clip is on a 13'6 150 the 2nd a 14'2 140, both are from a 6 step with a 13' bar. My guess is that the plant could be a bit better on the first video, while in both I need to drop my head and pull with my arms and turn earlier while in the inverted position. I kind of let myself float up into the inverted position, but if I started to pull with my arms when my hips get high enough, I can keep the pole bent an get some push at the top instead of just getting inverted then flopping out. I'm just guessing so I'd appreciate your input!

tsorenson
PV Pro
Expertise: masters vaulter, former college vaulter, volunteer HS/club coach, fan, parent

Re: Pull turn?

Unread postby tsorenson » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:25 pm

You don't want to pull WITH your arms, you pull THROUGH your arms...like a power clean (ask the weight training expert at your school).

It looks to me like you need to lower your grip by 1 hand, so that you don't break that pole, won't land on the bar anymore, and that hopefully you can land in the middle of the pit, instead of outside the coach's box! With a slightly lower grip the pole will also be stiffer, so that you can maybe get the push that you are seeking.

Good luck,
Tom

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”