How do I get better?

Post your videos and pictures to be reviewed here. Please read the guidelines first.
pv278
PV Newbie
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

How do I get better?

Unread postby pv278 » Mon May 14, 2012 8:54 pm

So I just got my PR of 11' and want to keep improving. I weigh 125 pounds and use a PACER 130 12' 4" pole. My coaches have been looking for a bigger pole for me. Is that all I need or is there things I can do better.

The following video is of my recent 11' jump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xHBHbJWoN0&feature=plcp

Also, if possible to decide, what size pole would be my next logical step?

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Re: How do I get better?

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue May 22, 2012 10:53 pm

Congrats on the PR! Not a bad jump it seemed. For future videos though always try to film even with the box at 20'-30' away. Also put video posts in the "Video Review" section. (EDIT: I guess it just got moved here!)

From what I can tell your last 6 steps (3 lefts) are a major deceleration. I recommend the drill 20/20's to help with this, as well as approach runs (with and without the pole) on the track. This hurts the take-off and the swing, though it seems like you've got plenty of energy on that pole. Yes you may want a larger pole (maybe a 13' 130 or 12'6" 135-40), but know that getting a bigger pole is never "all you need" at this level or pretty much any level. There are always loads of things you can do much better.

You can find 20/20's detailed on the board in a bunch of places. Just use the search bar at the top right. :yes:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Return to “Pole Vault - Video Review”