Bottom Arm Technique -*Help Needed*

This is a forum to discuss advanced pole vaulting techniques. If you are in high school you should probably not be posting or replying to topics here, but do read and learn.
dhuntley95
PV Newbie
Expertise: Collegiate Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

Bottom Arm Technique -*Help Needed*

Unread postby dhuntley95 » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:04 pm

I have been vaulting for 5 years now and I seem to still have one main flaw in my vault. This is that I can't seem to develop a bottom arm when vaulting. My jumps usually have my arm around 90 degrees when I take off, but push to roughly a 120 degree angle during the drive phase. Any ideas on how to fix this? Drills? I've done all the basics, and still can't figure it out. I think some of it might be that I don't jump into the drive phase as much, but I'm open to suggestions.

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Re: Bottom Arm Technique -*Help Needed*

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Thu Jul 09, 2015 5:21 pm

Post some video.

KirkB
PV Maniac
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:05 pm

dhuntley95 wrote: ... I seem to still have one main flaw in my vault.

Just one? :confused:

dhuntley95 wrote: ... This is that I can't seem to develop a bottom arm when vaulting. My jumps usually have my arm around 90 degrees when I take off, but push to roughly a 120 degree angle during the drive phase. Any ideas on how to fix this?

What is your target technique? Instead of 120 degrees, what do you want to do? What is it that you're trying to do with your bottom arm?

And what do you mean by the drive phase (it sometimes means different things to different people)?

dhuntley95 wrote: I think some of it might be that I don't jump into the drive phase as much ...

If you think that you might not be jumping on takeoff well enough, then that's probably true. That's two main flaws so far.

Of your four limbs, your bottom arm is (arguably) the least important what you need to cognizantly do with it to jump high. I suggest that you focus more on your top arm and trail leg first. If my guess is correct, that's now four flaws and counting. ;)

But as Vcpvcoach said, you'll have to post some vid so that we're not just guessing.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

kreeceman
PV Newbie
Expertise: current college vaulter
Lifetime Best: 17ft
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Unread postby kreeceman » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:18 pm

I tend to have this same problem as well. My right arm is great but I lose alot of separation because of my left arm. When I vault I think to put my arms straight in the air and I have noticed alot of vaulters in videos straighten their arm forward right before contact. What approach would you guys prefer.

https://youtu.be/hDExRkTpPDw

this is a video of my recent PR (excuse the noise) and I know there is alot of things that could use some improvement, but I am kinda at a brick wall with how to keep the left arm straight. if you see anything else that needs work im completely open for advice with those too... But i really need some help with this arm.

Return to “Pole Vault - Advanced Technique”