Next Pole to Jump on?

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
SkinnyVaulter
PV Newbie
Expertise: Former Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 13'3''
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sergei Bubka

Next Pole to Jump on?

Unread postby SkinnyVaulter » Wed May 23, 2012 8:48 pm

Hello,

Recently I have been thinking about pushing my step back from a 6 lefts approach to something higher so I can start working with longer poles and generate more power in my jump. However, I am unsure about what pole I need to go to, and what a proportional change in step length would be. Just as a side note I am completely comfortable with free take-offs, and can utilize them to jump on poles above my weight.

Here's some information about me:

Weight:132

Height:6'

Current Pole: UCS 14' 150, flex 22

Standards are usually at 24-26 but it depends on the weather, that's where they are in normal conditions

6 Step: 78'

Takeoff:11'6''

Thanks a bunch :D

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: Next Pole to Jump on?

Unread postby dj » Thu May 24, 2012 8:58 am

Good morning…..

With a 14 foot spirit you can hold 13-6… which translates to a possible 14 foot vault with a Six Step "MID" 45 feet (chart www.oneapproachrun.com)

I would go to a 14-7 150 flex?....... with the potential to grip "two grips" higher…

Sets your run up on the track with a 45 and 46 mid… run four lefts back from the "MID" and that will give you a 14 step/7 left approach… run it to get comfortable…

Then move it to the runway… you should be capable of using a 45-6/46/46-6 Mid with the new pole and a 13-6 to 13-10 to 14-0 grip..

If you want 16 steps/8 left run run back 5 lefts from the 3 left/6 step "MID"

dj

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”