Whats wrong?

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
BooterbaughMFC
PV Newbie
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 7' 6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Coach Becca

Whats wrong?

Unread postby BooterbaughMFC » Sun May 13, 2012 1:19 am

Last year was my first year polevaulting and I cleared 7'6" constantly, but this year I could barely make it over 6'6". Last year I was 25lbs lighter, but alot slower. My coach says I should be clearing 8' but I can never get that high in a meet. I am 5' tall and am on an 11'5" 150lb pole holding from 9'3" to 9'6" and running from 60' (give or take a few inches)

VaulterChick122
PV Beginner
Lifetime Best: 10'

Re: Whats wrong?

Unread postby VaulterChick122 » Sun May 13, 2012 4:29 pm

Since you are 25lbs heavier, it may be more difficult for you to pull yourself up. To clear 8ft an acceptable grip is 9'9", and you are gripping 9'6", so you need to get yourself up more weather you are taught to pull or not. If you can do at least one or two chin ups, you should be able to pull yourself up. Make sure you are jumping up and driving your knee at take-off. Also i would try using a softer pole. i know it is illegal to jump on a pole too light, but it can be safe if you are gripping low enough. Once you get the knack of jumping on a softer pole, and you blow through it, move back up stiffer poles until you reach the 150 again. How many lefts do you run from?

BooterbaughMFC
PV Newbie
Lifetime Best: 7' 6"
Favorite Vaulter: Coach Becca

Unread postby BooterbaughMFC » Mon May 14, 2012 12:54 am

Ibeleive i run from six lefts, my coach decided that i was going fast enough to run further

VaulterChick122
PV Beginner
Lifetime Best: 10'

Unread postby VaulterChick122 » Mon May 14, 2012 9:39 pm

when you run from your shorter approachese use a softer pole and lower your grip so you can get a better technique and penetration. I would give you other advice however i am unsure if it would contest with what your coach teaches.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”