HEIGHT/POLE/PR

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
professor
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School
Lifetime Best: 13'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

HEIGHT/POLE/PR

Unread postby professor » Thu Jul 14, 2011 12:03 am

I am 5' 9" and vaulting on a 14 pole gripping around 5 inches from the max hs grip sticker (i don't know the exact height of my grip) and my pr is 13 6 im also almost 18 going into my senior year. i am not really worried about my height because im about average but i would definatly like to be taller.

My question to you is your height, pr, length of pole you vaulted on your pr, and grip

i am basically just curious of what type of potential i really have and what i have to work with and with what my body has to offer

thanks

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: HEIGHT/POLE/PR

Unread postby VaultPurple » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:16 am

Your potential is as great as you make it to be!

But this could be an interesting thread. There have been 5'3 guys jump 17' with a 14' pole while some 6'6 guys can not jump 17' with a 17' pole. Same way It took a guy like Greg Duplantis to use something like a 16' 180 to jump 19' while some guys much taller than him use 17'6 poles to jump 19'. Then things like speed changes stuff. I know 6'3 guys that use 16'6 180 pound poles to jump 17'6 but then you have a guy like Renaud Lavillenie that is only 5'9 use a 16'6 pole that is over 200 pounds and jump 19'9. There are so many differnt factors than your height, and speed is the biggest one! The one guarantee you have in pole vault is that if you have the fastest runway speed, you are probably going to have one of the highest PRs.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”