Droping shoulders

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Kolber
PV Fan

Droping shoulders

Unread postby Kolber » Fri May 11, 2007 10:57 pm

I am having trouble and finishing the vault too soon and I am not droping my soulders as I invert and turn, and little trick or tip anybody can tell me, heres a vid from last year, but i am faster now and bending the pole a lot better

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3z611nbtzQk
greatness=greatness

Siros
PV Nerd

Unread postby Siros » Sat May 12, 2007 12:39 am

Noobish opinion, but your turning too slowly. Like half of those misses were because you didn't turn fast enough and you hit the bar with your side. Nice production though. Shows that you put some effort into the video.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:10 pm

The swing wasn't finished. You picked your trail leg up too soon, causing your top end to, well, not be so good. If the rest of your vault is sound, the turn should almost happen on its own. You shouldn't really need to initiate it.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:24 am

You might also be keeping your hands out in front of you while you swing, rather than over your head. Thats going to keep your swing from being able to go past your hands and to vertical.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

UWvaulter
PV Whiz
Expertise: post collegiate vaulter, high school coach,
Lifetime Best: 18'9"
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby UWvaulter » Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:34 pm

Is your take off under?

fchipr
PV Fan

still want an observation?

Unread postby fchipr » Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:20 pm

Couple quick ones.

First, you may or may not have been under on your step. But thats "Fake data" if you dont look at why. that is you may have been on your take off mark, but you long strided pretty bad to get to it. If you were indeed under ( I'd guess by 8-12") it because of the same long stride on that last step. Its floating and your reaching out with it. And either reaching to get the step on or reaching and being under has the same bad impacts to the top of the vault.

You ran out of pole speed (penetration) and came down on it, and even with a natural quick turn maybe you make it but the other issues are bigger than sneeking over that bar. That flat foot long stride at take off killed the pole speed forcing you to "come out of it " too soon before you ever get inverted.

One aggrevating factor to the lack of fully inverting after rocking back is your grip width. A quick glance says your botom hand/grip is so wide that your bottom hand is keeping you from coming back further .

Two other likely factors making the invert/off the top phase not really happen. That is the CG comment already given to you. I bet your drivin that plant fwd to get your hips up and the exact opposite occurs. Its what I call a go-cart driving plant. If you find your plant hand between your legs(like driving a bumper car or go cart with a stick) as you are just rocking back, you'll never get there. Keep that plant high at your head and keep it there till your hips are above your shoulders and THEN start to invert those hips over your head, drop your shoulders (not head back) and keep your self aligned in parrallel with the pole (Find your pole we say)

Lastly that wide grip (looks like as much as 3 hand holds wider than your shoulders are wide) you need to collapse it as you are approaching that rockback position os butt above shoulders. You appear to be stiff arming it, after the imediate off the ground moment. Thats kinda backwards, and with a too-wide grip would exaserbate the go cart plant/CG issue , and your incomplete inversion.

The turn is not the issue.

Summary:
Come off the ground better and gain better penetration by doing so.
No long flat stride on that last step. Lower your hand hold 1-2 hand holds until you get that last step short like the rest and you taking off up on your toes (balls of your feet)

2. Narrow your grip 1-2 hand holds or to shoulder width to shoulder width +1
3. Don't stiff arm that bottom hand

4. Find a high BAR OR TRAPEEZE, HECK A ROPE OVER THE FOOTBALL CROSSBARS. AND Do BUBKAS and learn how to rockback so your hips get above your shoulders before you worry about inverting and coming off the top. This will solve CG issue IF you keep your plant hand high and not moving foreward. Secondary benefit: Get that TORSO stronger

Too many words. But if you do this stuff after checking the "data" aspects of your vid. Its guarenteed to help ya.

ITS ALL IN THE RUN UP!

RUN FAST, HOLD HIGH and FLY
Coach Chip

PS watch your video enough times stopping at all the different phases until you can see what I and the others are telling you. that might be 20 or 30 times, before you jump again.

PSS One way to work the last step may be to shorten your run. In Dec. if your even jumping it ought to be short quick peppy 4-5 lefts, smaller pole lower grips. get it right off the ground it'll pay off later in the season big

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”