Bottom arm and inverting

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Bottom arm and inverting

Unread postby master » Fri May 11, 2007 2:16 am

Altius has requested I post this for him. - master

altius wrote:folk might be interested in the following images 1-5 which show one girl clearing 12'8" after two years training - she is 134 lbs using a 13' 175 lb pole - the other (No 6) is Vicki Parnov at 13'9 ... both suggesting that girls can indeed invert if the they are taught to take off correctly - even if they dont smash the pole with the bottom arm.

Haverford123
PV Nerd

Unread postby Haverford123 » Fri May 11, 2007 9:25 am

that is incredible,,, i vaulted for two years but i cant do that,,,(dont know how to get inverted),,, better luck next year i guess

sooch90
PV Pro
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby sooch90 » Fri May 11, 2007 9:36 am

Oh wow! So... the bottom hand isn't well... I guess all that important? I mean of course it's important, but keeping it extended isn't the most necessary thing? Does it help?

Is it the top arm?

Thanks for post master and altius!

Glory
PV Whiz

Unread postby Glory » Fri May 11, 2007 10:33 am

thats impressive..i struggled with the same thing..my bottom hand about nailed me in the face every plant and i was clearing 15...i recently moved my hands closer together allowing me be leaning forward more on takoff which locked out my bottom arm..i have since cleared 16'8 in practice..yet to do it in a meet though..kinda sucks

Siros
PV Nerd

Unread postby Siros » Fri May 11, 2007 10:00 pm

Wow, that's sick! I hope I can get that high next year.

yesterdayxlyed
PV Newbie

the Top hand is what's important

Unread postby yesterdayxlyed » Sun Jun 03, 2007 5:44 pm

Its not the bottom hand thats important.
If you slow down bubka's jumps you'll see that his left arm doesn't get "locked out"
Sure his left arm is more out there than this girl but he focuses on rotating from the top hand, having a big pre-stretch in the front of his body so when he contracts those muscles he is is explosive and forceful.
Jump up.

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:13 pm

that looks like what I was doing my junior year...my plant was so bad that my elbow came past the pole (as in the picture), but still managed to row and invert fully to jump a PR of 14'9" on a 14'6" 175.

but, wait, who said that the bottom arm at the plant has anything to do with inverting? did I miss something?

theczar
PV Follower

Unread postby theczar » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:15 pm

Glory wrote:..my bottom hand about nailed me in the face every plant and i was clearing 15...

I used to do the same thing...I actually had marks on my pole from where my helmet would hit it!!

Glory
PV Whiz

Unread postby Glory » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:23 pm

haha..is that why you started wearing the helmet czar?...

theczar
PV Follower

Unread postby theczar » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:26 pm

Glory wrote:haha..is that why you started wearing the helmet czar?...

lol...no. I started wearing a helmet when I almost missed the pit once...

but I've also actually scratched the bridge of my nose with my bottom hand thumbnail on a jump.... ;)

Glory
PV Whiz

Unread postby Glory » Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:27 pm

(yesterdayxlyed Posted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 4:44 pm Post subject: the Top hand is what's important

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Its not the bottom hand thats important.
If you slow down bubka's jumps you'll see that his left arm doesn't get "locked out"
Sure his left arm is more out there than this girl but he focuses on rotating from the top hand, having a big pre-stretch in the front of his body so when he contracts those muscles he is is explosive and forceful. )

if you look at bubkas jumps his swing is what allows him to do what he does not a big pre stretch...when asked how he broke the world record bubka replied "i had the fastest swing that day." thats the most important part of the vault...so in conclusion it is quite possible for these girls to go even higher, with a bad left arm.

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:50 pm

Glory wrote:if you look at bubkas jumps his swing is what allows him to do what he does not a big pre stretch...when asked how he broke the world record bubka replied "i had the fastest swing that day." thats the most important part of the vault..

Remember to always look at or think about what comes before the aspect of the jump you are talking about. The point is that a big pre stretch facilitates a fast, powerful swing.

Glory wrote:...so in conclusion it is quite possible for these girls to go even higher, with a bad left arm.

They do not have a bad left arm. That is an appropriate left arm for their jumping style and situation.

- master

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”