Running through

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
newvaulter
PV Beginner

Running through

Unread postby newvaulter » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:24 pm

Well, I know that this isn't the usual kind of technical problem people post here, but does anyone have any advice for someone who keeps running through? How do I stay positive and convince myself that I 'can do it!' My biggest problem in training right now is just a lack of confidence in myself. I'm faster and stronger than I've ever been, yet I pick up my 'baby' pole from six steps and just feel like it's a big, stiff pole. I have been starting on a softer pole the past few practices, but still can't get off the ground. Unfortunately my coach isn't much help, turning his back and not saying anything when I run through, or maybe mumbling a little bit to himself. What would anyone suggest? Thanks!

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sun Dec 09, 2007 7:43 pm

Try running from 3 steps until you're in a good rythm. Do drills to help you build your confidence and focus on form each 3 step vault. If you're still really having trouble, just stop and simply tell yourself that the pole vault is a simple jump aided by a pole. That all you have to do is plant, jump, swing. Also, breaks from training can be helpful. There are other threads on this topic that you could check out by searching for them. Good luck jumping!
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:19 pm

The only vaulters I've seen that have run through problems are those that vault exclusively, or almost, from a long run. Build them up from 2 steps adding a stride when the athlete is ready.

I also think it's bad to run through during warmups. If you've developed the run properly and are hitting the proper mid marks and are warmed up you can take up a vault first time down the runway.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

shiaob
PV Newbie

Unread postby shiaob » Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:50 pm

I had this same problem early last season when i transitioned to a new coach. What seemed to help for me was running drills, fewer steps, and sand pit drills.
Maybe also you're syking yourself out before you even run. Those are my two cents. Good Luck.

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Dec 10, 2007 1:07 am

Mental training. Think about this- Whats the worst that can happen? You will end up on the front bun or off the mats on your feet and roll to safety. If you know how to bail, you will rarely get hurt. And most of the time, what you think is being WAY off on your run ends up being a minor detail, and if you hit it hard on every jump and stop worrying about it being perfect, you realize that even if it isnt perfect it can be a good jump. The more you do that, the more confidence you will build. Just take it slow and dont worry about the "what if's".... you will be fine. Just dont swing unless you feel good about it, and follow good bail out technique in the rare case something goes wrong, and you will be ok.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Mon Dec 10, 2007 10:26 am

In my experience, 90% of the time people run through because they are out. I rarely see anyone run through when they're under, unless drastically under by like 2' or more. When your run is "tight," you can chop those feet down and get off the ground because your hips are tall and you can jump. When you're too far out, your hips are low, you're overstriding, and it's just about mechanically impossible to jump off the ground. Your body knows this intrinsically and sends the message to your brain to abort and run through.

Use the Search button and look up DJ's Six Stride Chart to establish a "mid" and practice pole runs on the track using that mid, getting your feet down, and planting into a towel, then bring that run over to the runway and adjust your starting mark so that you hit that mid.

If that doesn't work, come back in to 1 left with a grip about 2' above your natural standing reach. You can slide the pole or carry it above your head. Take off 5 times. Then move back about 10-12 shoes, raise your grip one hand and take off 5 more times. Then back up 10-12 shoes, raise your grip one hand and take off 5 more. Repeat, repeat, repeat... Your grip will likely be able to raise up more than a fist at some point, so raise it gradually with what you're comfortable with. Do this on a small pole. Place no emphasis on trying to bend the pole, just plant up and jump up. You'll be back on the wagon before you know it.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

newvaulter
PV Beginner

Unread postby newvaulter » Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:15 pm

Hey, thanks so much for everyone's help on this! I'm looking forward to having a good jump day tomorrow already :)

-newvaulter

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:21 pm

If this helps, heres a good quote from my coach:

Good vaulters go out and want to do well, hoping things go well.

Great vaulters EXPECT to do well, and see to it that it does.

VTechVaulter
PV Lover
Expertise: Current Elite Vaulter, College Volunteer Coach, HUGE FAN

Unread postby VTechVaulter » Wed Dec 19, 2007 11:09 pm

i can tell you this too... it happens to everyone

im currently in the middle of it myself. after spending some time trying to adjust the start of my run, ive really found myself in a massive bad spot because now i just cant do anything twice to save my life, and your right if theres no confidence in yourself (or in your run) your not gonna leave the ground.

Earl Bell gave me one of the best pieces of advice. Running through means your doing something wrong, so dont get down on yourself and think your just a big pansy (modified for younger audiences). Most likely it means your out (as was previously mentioned). Take a couple stabs to get back in the air, if not come in and we will jump from 2 steps, 4 steps, etc until were feeling good about things again.

p.s. ill let ya know if i get out of it. haha. it sux for sure. hang tough
Brian Mondschein
Philadelphia Jumps Club, Coach and Co-Founder
www.phillyjumpsclub.com

CHOBOOO
PV Wannabe

Unread postby CHOBOOO » Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:30 pm

that's the same problem i've been having when i made my big pole change. vaulterboy is right. it's a mental thing. you just have to get fearless and tell yourself im just going to do this. :D

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:21 pm

Keep in mind, its a mental thing when your run is on. BUT if you are out, make your adjustments like vtech said. Just stay confident and do everything the same way everytime. Easier said than done, i know, but never get so scared or pumped up that your step moves in or out 2 feet. Just relax and vault.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”