Landing Box

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.

Square or No square?????

Yes
55%
No
45%

Total votes: 11

xtremevaulter

I'm Sorry

Unread postby xtremevaulter » Sun Dec 29, 2002 7:21 pm

I don't think it is a good idea. Because there are some vaulters out there who tend to land to the left or right a little bit. But how big would this box be and how much of your body must you get into it.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Dec 29, 2002 9:30 pm

They're pretty big... If you are totally missing it you are doing something wrong on your vault. Tim Reilly is a really big advocate of the box and the three strikes rule. He was working on making it mandatory for the metro league last year, but I don't think it ever actually happened.

baggettpv
PV Master

coaches box

Unread postby baggettpv » Mon Dec 30, 2002 3:56 am

We had a coaches box in 1970 (sophomore year) it was 3 foam bags. You put them on top of the sawdust where you landed. We became very good at landing on them too.....
Just a flash from the past.

Rick Baggett

lonestar
PV Lover

Re: coaches box

Unread postby lonestar » Mon Dec 30, 2002 6:47 pm

baggettpv wrote:We had a coaches box in 1970 (sophomore year) it was 3 foam bags. You put them on top of the sawdust where you landed. We became very good at landing on them too.....
Just a flash from the past.

Rick Baggett

Ha Ha - Amen Rick, Amen.

Every guy I've ever talked to from the 70's says the same thing - they didn't have a pit to land in, just a few bags of foam, and yet nobody seemed to have any trouble landing in them. Could it be that we've placed too much emphasis on big pole high grip? Hmmmmm.

Kris Allison
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

TXPVCOACH
PV Nerd

Unread postby TXPVCOACH » Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:57 pm

Maybe the guys in the 70's knew how to vault ???

Short of giant pits and air bags around the box for those who come up short there is no substitute for knowledgeable coaches and vaulters.

You can make all the Helmets, Targets and Pole Weight Rules you want too but there is no substitute for vaulters knowing how to vault and coaches knowing how to coach them.

baggettpv
PV Master

70's vaulting

Unread postby baggettpv » Tue Jan 07, 2003 3:27 am

First time on a cloud 9 was at Richland, Wa. for a friday night meet. Stands were full of parents and admirers. Roy Gill and I both jumped 14'6" determined NOT to land on the edge of the pit. That is the place we learned to jump on soft pits.
Remember the Cloud 9?

Rick

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Unread postby Decamouse » Tue Jan 07, 2003 8:24 am

Kohler HS in Wisc had a cloud nine in the early 70's - also an all weather track - maybe thats why most of our HS meets where at that school - and you better land in the middle and not feet first.
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Tue Jan 07, 2003 10:57 am

Cloud 9's were a little before my time, but didn't they have like a wooden frame all the way around them?
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

Decamouse
PV Great
Expertise: Masters vaulter, coach, USATF Official
Favorite Vaulter: Kate Dennison

Unread postby Decamouse » Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:09 am

Not the ones I saw - just a big bag with a blower on one side blowing air into it to keep it inflated - and hope no one unplugged it will you vaulted
Plant like crap sometimes ok most times

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Jan 07, 2003 2:19 pm

Decamouse Wrote:
Kohler HS in Wisc had a cloud nine in the early 70's - also an all weather track - maybe thats why most of our HS meets where at that school - and you better land in the middle and not feet first.

Kohler were are you from? I went to Plymouth HS.

hurstiger
PV Fan

Old Pits

Unread postby hurstiger » Wed Jan 08, 2003 11:49 pm

I remember in the late 60's, we had 2X12's that formed a box that we filled with rice hulls that we got from the local rice mill. Didn't jump high....wonder why?

Tigerrrpv
PV Beginner

Final word on the square

Unread postby Tigerrrpv » Fri Jan 10, 2003 9:00 pm

The coaches box is only a big ten rule no other conferences have adopted it, I don't even think it will fly in the big ten considering no one really know the exact way to enforce it.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”