keep going up!

This is a forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to intermediate level pole vaulting.
Jungm1420
PV Nerd
Expertise: Sophomore High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

keep going up!

Unread postby Jungm1420 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:41 am

ok. so i am about at that point where unless my techinique improves i wont be going any higher. i PRd again today at 11'6". using a 13' 150lb 19.1 flex holding at about 12'. i am still getting into that chair, v, l, what ever you want to call it position. and i am getting 11'6. so i figure if i can actually get inverted and jump over my handgrip then i can get 12' and even maybe 12'6. but doing that is the task. i have no idea really besides maybe my trail leg isnt straight when swinging through why else i cant invert fully. that is the only reason i can tell. i dont have a coach for pole vault so everything i know and have learned is from a camp and watching a ton of videos on youtube. i have 2 videos of me jumping on youtube now. please watch and give me any advice you can on what to work on to fully invert.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_hQuncCclM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zqFu2GjHBA

Vault101 Boy
PV Fan
Expertise: High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 14'6
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker

Re: keep going up!

Unread postby Vault101 Boy » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:00 am

if i may suggest not repeatedly posting the same question in so many threads. People often reply once and you may miss it if youre looking through a dozen threads. Clearing your grip comes from fully inverting but youll probably need a pole that is not soft or overbending as you will never approach clearing your grip height. Work on a stronger take off (more speed and better angle of attack) as well as your swing and dropping your shoulders. As long as you focus more on becoming more technical, and not on getting particular heights or on certain poles, you will improve. Doing things right on the ground and in the air will almost always lead to bigger poles and thus bigger heights. In other words, youll be better off doing drills like short approach than doing long approaches trying to tame a bigger stick or clear a new pr.

Return to “Pole Vault - Intermediate Technique”