Pole vaulters setting sights higher (IL)

A forum to discuss anything related to Illinois

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Pole vaulters setting sights higher (IL)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 20, 2007 12:07 am

http://www.mchenrycountysports.com/arti ... 554921.txt

Pole vaulters setting sights higher

By JOE STEVENSON - jstevenson@nwherald.com
Comments (0)

Pole vaulters such as Crystal Lake South's Brock McAnally seem to be a fearless species, ready to fly over bars much higher than a basketball hoop.

There are, however, moments of trepidation.

"In pole vault lingo, I hear them say, 'I'm scared of that pole,' " Crystal Lake South boys track coach Dave Puma said. "Brock [McAnally] says it. I tell him [his new pole] is only 6 inches longer, and he says, 'I know, but it seems so much bigger.' "

McAnally, who will shoot for the McHenry County Track and Field Meet boys pole vault record today, is trying to work onto a 14-foot-6 pole that will give him more height, but such transitions for vaulters are not always smooth.

McAnally vaulted 14-3 1/2 last week in a meet to set South's school record. He hit 13-9 in a Fox Valley Conference triangular meet Monday, missing at 14-4. The county meet starts at 4 p.m. today at Crystal Lake Central's Owen Metcalf Field with field events and preliminary heats in the 100- and 200-meter dashes and 110 high hurdles (100 for girls).

The running finals will begin at 5 p.m. Friday at Central. Jacobs, the host school this year, asked Central to host both nights because a light pole that fell at Jacobs last fall has not yet been replaced. Central gladly accepted the meet for both nights.

The boys vault after the girls today, probably starting somewhere around 6 p.m. At that time, McAnally will warm up with his 14-6 pole (rated at 165 pounds) in hopes everything will feel right. If not, he might go back to the pole he has been on (14-0, 165) for his pursuit of Marengo's Anthony Weber's 2003 record of 14-3.

"I've had it [the 14-6 pole] for about a month," McAnally said. "I don't have any jumps on it yet. Right now, the biggest problem is mental, it's in my head. It seems a lot longer and it feels a lot heavier when I'm on the runway. I need to get over that."

McAnally, who is aiming for 15-0 this season, said he thinks the 14-6 pole can get him through the rest of the spring.

"I'm really hoping for a good day and want to move onto my new pole," McAnally said. "I can move up [may hands] some or keep them where they are now. I might have to move up a little bit."

Puma said McAnally tried using the new pole at the Illinois Prep Top Times Indoor Classic, where he wound up not making an opening height.

"He's trying to adapt with it," Puma said. "I'm lucky to have coaches who know the specialties. [Assistant] Rich [Eschman] is great with it."

Jacobs, led by distance runner Evan Jager, will be favored to win its sixth consecutive county team title.

Return to “Illinois”