Vaulting with "The Hump"

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
IAmTheWalrus
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current College Coach, Aspiring to be Elite Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.06m

Vaulting with "The Hump"

Unread postby IAmTheWalrus » Sun Feb 14, 2010 5:55 pm

When I was in college, instead of doing traditional short run practices (short run on a small pole) we would instead use our competition pole from 5 or 6 lefts and jump off of what we called "The Hump." aka a jump ramp. If you are not familiar with this item the product page is here :
http://www.everythingtrackandfield.com/ ... ryID_E_221

I was curious if anyone else had vaulted from a jump ramp or spring board, and what they thought of it. Personally, I loved it. I think it did a lot for helping me get the sensation of a free takeoff, and for being more comfortable on bigger poles (helped me get on the 16's). I also like being able to get the reps and top end work of a short run day, but with (close to) the timing of my competition pole. How about you?
-Nick

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Vaulting with "The Hump"

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 7:24 pm

It was fun but then I always felt super flat when I went back to vaulting normal.

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:10 am

I agree with Becca. As I look at the deal I see a hyper extended knee just waiting to happen. When the knee hyper extends it rips the patella tendon which needs surgery to fix. Plus it's a bummer sitting in the pit after this has occurred looking at your kneecap sitting on your quad. Don't even think of walking.......you can't. Sound like I have experienced such an injury? I have. That's why I'm not crazy about using anything on the runway close to your take off point. By the way, it took me a year or two to fully recover from the knee injury. Just some food for thought. Later............Mike

chasing6
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former Collegiate Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, Coach (all-levels), Die-Hard Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.23m

Unread postby chasing6 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:32 pm

One of my vaulters has a small ramp that he used in high school and has been asking me to put it into our training program. The idea is similar, but instead of the 6" hump it is only 1.5-2" tall at its highest. I'm adverse to putting anything substantial on the runway, and the idea of something so big seems dangerous.
Whether you believe you can or cannot, you're right.

http://www.fiveringsproject.org

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:46 pm

If you do want one, don't pay 560 dollars for it. Shoot ill make you one for 100 out of solid wood and mondo. Just don't sue me. Or buy a really, really nice pole with that money lol.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

MattM
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 15
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Huffman

Unread postby MattM » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:11 pm

From a high school athlete's perspective, something such as "the hump" does sound like it has its advantages but at the same time, it has its flaws. The main thing that is seems like it would help with is confidence, an athlete such as myself would have an easier time to get on a bigger pole, but that is not necessarily a good thing. Big poles, although may be a higher height, if technique is not correct moving up to a bigger pole is only a temporary solution. The flaws of "the hump" is that when you finish vaulting on it and must revert back to an ordinary runway in a meet or practice, it's going to be harder to get up on your normal sized pole, which means a lot of runthroughs without going up. Suddenly when you're used to things on a big pole being easier, you won't be prepared for how hard it is without the hump and will thus rely on it, which isn't a good thing. Personally, I wouldn't want to train with it.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”