Jagodin Drills

A forum for coaches to discuss coaching technique and advice with each other. Only registered coaches can post in this forum.

Moderator: AVC Coach

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

Jagodin Drills

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Wed Oct 26, 2005 9:31 am

Altius,

What are the "Jagodin" drills you mention in your book BTB under a sample of Bubka's workouts? It may be something we are already doing by a different name, but maybe not. Please describe it for us.
Thanks! Rusty

Quoted from "From Beginner to Bubka" on pages 108 and 109 :
"4. Technique
Imitation Exercises
- 4 x Jagodin x 4 strides x 4 m grip x rigid pole
- 6 x roll back x 6 strides x 4 m grip x rigid pole
- 4 x run up x 16 strides
- 4 x Jagodin x bent pole x 16 strides x 5m grip
- 10 x total run up x 5.00m pole/93 kg pole"
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Oct 27, 2005 2:54 pm

Glad you came back on this one! I knew 'someone' had asked this question but in the normal chaos of life forgot where and by whom it had originally been raised!!

Jagodin was a Russian coach from a former era and most athletes and coaches from that system do not know the exercises by the name 'Jagodins'.

So you are right - many folk are using these exercises without using the name. As I understand it -

The first 'Jagodin' exercise is simply to run in and take off, driving the pole forwards while staying behind it with the lower body. This is done with both straight and flexing poles and is shown in Beginner to Bubka. It is a very important exercise and seems to be neglected by many US coaches - at least on the evidence I have from working at three camps in the US in the past two years. Almost every athlete I saw took off and went straight past the pole with the lower body - see my comment about the rock back drill below.

The second exercise is the same thing but the athlete swings into an L shaped inversion - and goes through to land on their back - we call these 'long swings' but we always used poles of varying stiffness but did not do the exercise - basically a rock back -with stiff poles because as I have indicated elsewhere the 'rock back drill' introduces bad habits unless carefully monitored.

Note that we have had three former Soviet coaches in Adelaide along with two world class athletes in the past few years and they do not 'know' the Jagodin drills by that name.

The sample of Bubka's program was lifted as is and simply presented as an example of the range and intensity of his training..

In haste but hope this clarifies things. ;)
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:59 pm

Altius, what page in BTB shows the jagodin? Mike

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Thu Oct 27, 2005 5:58 pm

altius wrote:...Jagodin was a Russian coach from a former era and most athletes and coaches from that system do not know the exercises by the name 'Jagodins'.

So you are right - many folk are using these exercises without using the name. As I understand it -

The first 'Jagodin' exercise is simply to run in and take off, driving the pole forwards while staying behind it with the lower body. This is done with both straight and flexing poles and is shown in Beginner to Bubka. It is a very important exercise and seems to be neglected by many US coaches - at least on the evidence I have from working at three camps in the US in the past two years. Almost every athlete I saw took off and went straight past the pole with the lower body....

We do those and call them hangs. You are correct that most of the athletes go straight past the pole with their lower body... at least until they have been corrected. The others we call On-Backs. Both drills are done with rigid and/or flexible poles.
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

ashcraftpv
That one guy
Expertise: Former College Vaulter (D1), Current High School Coach, 1999 Outdoor Big Ten Champion
Lifetime Best: 5.25m
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Jason Hinkin

Unread postby ashcraftpv » Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:23 pm

its funny how differring terminology gets in the way of communication. For instance, when I was in high school, we always did what my coach called "Johnson drills", which some fols call push-plants (starting from 1,2, or 3 lefts, planting and taking off with a spotter). We had asked him why they were called "Johnsons" and he didn't know. That's what his dad called them when he did them growing up in the late 70's/early 80's. We finally got around to asking his dad why they were called that, and he told us it was because he saw Jan Johnson doing them once and didn't know what they were called. :)

I still call them Johnsons out of habit
PoleVaultPlanet is coming.....

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Thu Oct 27, 2005 10:52 pm

You know you have "arrived" when you have a drill named after you. :D

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Thu Oct 27, 2005 11:13 pm

Mike - Our version of Jagodins - we dont call them that - is shown by figures 11.7/11.9/11.10/11.13 with stiff pole and 12.3/12.5abc with a flexible pole -12.6 abc shows same exercise from a platform. Remember these are movements -not easy to show in stills unless you have tons of space. However the end result is obvious in the pictures of all of our athetes - including an absolute beginner 11.6 - and notably Lauren Eley 12.6 - and even Jana Tancosic after a poor take off in 12.1!! - and of course all of the elite athletes shown in Beginner to Bubka. ;)

I dont think it matters what you call them as long as you do them. In OZ for example even at Under 14 level you will see boys and girls using these 2/4/6 stiff pole exercises as a major part of their preparation for competition. No rockbacks - or very rarely!!
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Fri Oct 28, 2005 9:18 am

Thankyou, I'll find them and start working them into my sessions. (that is if I can, being an ol' guy and all). Later........Mike

Return to “Pole Vault - Coaches Forum”