Plant/takeoff

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

AGPV
PV Newbie

Plant/takeoff

Unread postby AGPV » Sat Feb 28, 2004 1:59 pm

I believe I have been hearing some conflicting advice about the plant and take off from other coaches and some articles I have read. Or am I just mixing things?
The Conflict:
As one nears the box and lowers the tip of the pole, the top hand ought to be pushing the pole foward so that the pole is infront of the body when planting.
On the other hand, I have also been told that the top hand should only go straight up, just by the chin.

Other Conflict:
Jumping for vertical versus jumping more horizontal like a long jump.

Please give some advice on these topics and possibly relate the issues to beginner high school vaulters
Thanks! Anthony[/u]

zack

Unread postby zack » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:39 pm

Your top hand should go up over your head as the pole comes down and then press UP with both arms at takeoff. You never want to push forward because you'll block out your swing.

As for jumping I believe you really have to found the right takeoff angle that works best based on your height among other things. But I don't think you should be jumping just completely straight up. Some coaches refer to it as "hitting the pole". Hope this helps a little.

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

take-off angle

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Sat Feb 28, 2004 2:50 pm

In my opinion;
The take-off angle IS relative to the speed of each vault and it is best not to overload the pole at the take-off but rather bend the pole from the swing. GO WITH THE POLE UPWARD

The vault angle will be determined as to what works for you in loading the pole and going with the pole.
Energy transfer into the plant and then into the swing which then moves to the pole is in my opinion the most efficient way to accomplish proper timing with the pole.

A Flat take-off does allow you to use a bigger pole faster but in my opinion causes problems at a later stage when you’re poles start getting stiffer.

To say this angle or that one is best is really based on the speed and energy transfer into the vault not a specific textbook angle to strive for.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Re: Plant/takeoff

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Sun Feb 29, 2004 12:42 pm

AGPV wrote:As one nears the box and lowers the tip of the pole, the top hand ought to be pushing the pole foward so that the pole is infront of the body when planting.
On the other hand, I have also been told that the top hand should only go straight up, just by the chin.

Other Conflict:
Jumping for vertical versus jumping more horizontal like a long jump.

Please give some advice on these topics and possibly relate the issues to beginner high school vaulters
Thanks! Anthony[/u]

The only forward motion at the plant I can think of is when you first initiate the planting motion. If your top hand is at or behind your hip it must move it forward a little other wise you will round house the pole tip to get your top hand up. once your hands are at shoulder level then it's pressing up and over your head with both hands.

As far as the take of you want to jump up has much as you can without sacraficing your forward momentum (this angle is going to be different for everyone). So if you asking should I jump more like a long jumper or vertical like a basketball player going for a dunk, it's claser to a long jump take off.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

AGPV
PV Newbie

Unread postby AGPV » Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:51 pm

Thanks for the info! greatly appreciatied.

TeddyVault
PV Fan

Unread postby TeddyVault » Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:13 pm

You know, the moving forward idea does have merit, like Rob said, it does help to prevent a roundhouse plant, which throws off much of the vault. At the same time, try not to let the hand go forward. A good cue for this is to bring the right (for a right handed vaulter) elbow forward while keeping the hand close to the body/face as you plant. This gets rid of that really weird angle the wrist has to contort into to plant strait up the body with the elbow back.
So you can go off of this cue: Bring the elbow forward and bring the hand up past your ear as you plant, the two cues in combination can make for a smooth, tall plant. oh yeah, think of getting your left arm up near your ear as well, this gets both hands up high, and helps to open up your chest to facilitate a better swing.
Any objections from the guru's?
Joe
Maybe I wasn't supposed to eat those paint chips?

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:17 pm

actually some people can move the pole forward powerfully to add momentum to their plant, but the key is not to lean back when you move it forward. examples of guys that do this is tim mcmicheal and joe dial. its not an easy task and it varies on the vaulter if you can do it or not and the style of your jump.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

KYLE ELLIS
PV Lover
Expertise: former college vaulter, Current college coach
Lifetime Best: 5.26
Favorite Vaulter: bubka

Unread postby KYLE ELLIS » Mon Mar 01, 2004 9:20 pm

i think if you are a jump or swing vaulter you would want to move your right hand up like markov does, if your a drive vaulter i think going forward with your left can add some momentum... try it.
On a whole new level 6-20-09

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”