I want to start Pole Vault...

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

Squid
PV Newbie

I want to start Pole Vault...

Unread postby Squid » Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:38 pm

I'm brazilian and I'm wanting to start pole vault. Here in Brazil, we don't have a Track & Field team to train in high school, but my gym teacher is fortunatly a Track&Field coach, and his specializes in the High Jump, Long Jump and fortunatly, Pole Vault.

Thing is, I'm 16 but a bit late when it comes to growth. I'm just 5'3, with my max height reaching about 5'5. I'm thinking of gaining more muscle mass before trying it out, so I don't know if I should ask my teacher to help me now, or only next year, after I gain a bit more pounds and muscle mass.

What should I do?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: I want to start Pole Vault...

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:36 pm

Squid wrote:I'm brazilian and I'm wanting to start pole vault. Here in Brazil, we don't have a Track & Field team to train in high school, but my gym teacher is fortunatly a Track&Field coach, and his specializes in the High Jump, Long Jump and fortunatly, Pole Vault.

Thing is, I'm 16 but a bit late when it comes to growth. I'm just 5'3, with my max height reaching about 5'5. I'm thinking of gaining more muscle mass before trying it out, so I don't know if I should ask my teacher to help me now, or only next year, after I gain a bit more pounds and muscle mass.

What should I do?

Ask your teacher to start training you in pole vaulting technique as soon as possible. It takes many years to learn, so the sooner you can start the better.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:21 pm

Don't think of being short or scrawny as a disadvantage... think of it as incentive to be better than all the tall buff people! Definitely start as soon as you can, strength is not a big issue for beginners. I'm sure you can do a few pull ups and squat over a hundred pounds.

Notice the search feature on this site. It will hopefully be a friend to you in the next few months... do some specific searches, and just browse a little bit.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

Andy_C
PV Pro

Unread postby Andy_C » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:54 pm

I won't lie to you, being short is a disadvantage. But it by no means eliminates your future as a pole vaulter. I'm 5'6 and I train with a girl who's 5'11 and a guy who's 6'3 (Aussies are tall lol). The sheer difference in grip height from standing is huge but it's only made me want to train harder and do better. At this stage, I don't think you need to worry too much about strength, you'll build that up later on. People often underestimate how technically oriented pole vault is. My advice is to get right into it and learn how to do it correctly and safely. 16 is a great age to start and my only regret is that I've picked up pole vaulting a bit late (19).
Hard work is wasted energy if you don't work wisely!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”