straight top arm

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

reinert3181
PV Newbie

straight top arm

Unread postby reinert3181 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:54 am

Hi, I am a new pole vault coach with a strong jumping background. After reading a lot on the internet and talking to some coaches I am starting to really feel comfortable with coaching the PV but lately am having trouble with a few new girls who are having trouble keeping their top arm straight at and drive/swing. So i took it a step backwards and did some sand vaulting which she normally does very wel with everything (except apparently the top arm again as i now notice that on the sand drills also, and she could also improve on having a longer straighter trail leg that doesn't get the heel up towards the butt as much. How can i get her to keep that top arm straighter/locked. THanks

marshall
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70
Favorite Vaulter: Scott Roth

Unread postby marshall » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:51 pm

tell her to plant tall and in front of her, and reach her arms out as high as she can on her plant.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:17 pm

Get away from jumping for a session or two. Don't let her go in the air. Drill the plant until she does it right consistently in basic plant drills, then move to sand, then the pit.
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

frequent flyer
PV Newbie
Expertise: ccurrent high school vaulkter

Re: straight top arm

Unread postby frequent flyer » Sat Jul 19, 2008 5:24 pm

i had this same problem for a really long time and it finally caught up with me. i corrected it by doing millions of 3 step take off drills and jumping at standing grip off the ground.
~Frequent Flyer

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”