ME States-postponed!

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine

Moderator: VaultnGus

PVgoalie101
PV Pro

ME States-postponed!

Unread postby PVgoalie101 » Sun Jun 04, 2006 10:00 am

this is crazy. both class A and C state meets were cancelled on saturday due to terrible weather conditions. Only class B (my class) was able to hold our meet, even though it was pouring out and the wind was flipping over all the tents by the end. luckily they had the sense enought to delay pole vault until monday. it should be interesting because the overall boys winner is going to be determined by the event.
Save a pole, ride a vaulter

Maine Vaulter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Maine Vaulter » Mon Jun 12, 2006 10:59 am

How'd class B turn out?...thats what A and C should have done is postpone the PV or jump indoors

PVgoalie101
PV Pro

Unread postby PVgoalie101 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:30 am

class b was freaking cold and rainy! but still pretty good. vault (for girls) was won with a jump of 9'6", guys 13' or 13'6". i forget. but thats so unfortunate that you couldn't be @ states. i would have been crushed.

Maine Vaulter
PV Wannabe

Unread postby Maine Vaulter » Mon Jun 12, 2006 11:38 am

yah it stunk, are you a guy or a girl? the guys class A got 14 the girls got 10'6" i think im not sure

PVgoalie101
PV Pro

Unread postby PVgoalie101 » Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:32 pm

girl :D

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Jun 28, 2006 12:14 pm

http://sports.mainetoday.com/highschool ... id=2807152

Purple Panthers vault to victory
By SCOTT MARTIN
Staff Writer
WINSLOW --Blake Jordan tried not to think about what was on the line when he stepped up for his final attempt at 12-feet-6 in the pole vault on Monday afternoon. He had all weekend to think about what a successful day would mean to his team and tried to think about nothing but clearing his personal best.
It wasn´t until he´d cleared the height, listened to a raucous ovation from a crowd of about 50 Waterville teammates and coaches, and talked to teammate Will Yankowski, that Jordan realized the Waterville boys track and field team was in perfect position to win the Class B boys state track and field championship.

"It didn´t really hit me until Will came up to me and said ´We won states,´ " Jordan said. "I didn´t really think about it until he came up to me."

Two days after the meet started, Jordan and Yankowski delivered Waterville the Class B state championship by scoring 14 points in the pole vault. Waterville came into Monday´s pole vault trailing York High School by three points and outscored the Wildcats in the event by six to take home the title, 72-69.

On Saturday, Waterville left Mount Desert Island trailing York 61-58 after 18 events. The pole vault was postponed early Saturday morning due to heavy rain and rescheduled for Monday at Winslow High School.

York sent just one pole vaulter, Brendon Boston, to Winslow, but his second place finish wasn´t enough to hold off Waterville. Jordan grabbed fifth and the three points that came with it, while Yankowski took the title with a vault of 13-6, good for 10 points.

"I knew Blake was excited and I´m amazed he did so well under all that pressure," Yankowski said. "I was hoping the weather would let up so Blake could get a couple good vaults in."

York High School was officially awarded the girls title after Sibley Blum cleared 9-6 to win the girls pole vault title. Blum´s title didn´t secure the win for York, but stretched out the Wildcats lead. York scored 103 points to cruise to the title, followed by Cape Elizabeth with 81.

Waterville´s Jonathan Alexis failed to clear the first height of the day, 10-0, and left the Purple Panthers´ hopes in the hands of Jordan and Yankowski. Jordan cleared his first four heights on his first attempt, before missing 12-0. Yankowski, the No. 1 seed, also missed 12-0 when his pole knocked the bar off the standards. Both vaulters cleared it on their second attempts and were in a group of seven vaulters to advance to 12-6, meaning both would place. Jordan missed on his first two attempts and feeling the pressure, Yankowski missed on his first attempt as well.

"When Will had that miss at one of the lower heights, he told me he was starting to get really nervous," Waterville coach Ian Wilson said. "I think he´ll forgive me, but I told him a little white lie and told him we´d already won. And we had not at that time. But once he heard that he was able to relax and go out there and vault."

After Yankowski cleared 12-6 on his second attempt and Winslow´s Matt Ward and Poland´s Chad Westliegh failed on their final attempts at 12-6, Jordan just needed to clear the height to finish in the top five. He made a slight adjustment to his grip and his standards (setting the bar back further) and easily cleared the height, his best ever.

"I hit it on the way up both times so I just moved my standards back," Jordan said. "I almost had 13."

Boston, who barely cleared 12-0, easily cleared 12-6 on his first attempt. Sam Petrie of Old Town was the only other vaulter to clear 12-6. Yankowski cleared 13-0 on his first attempt, while Jordan, Petrie and Boston all failed on the attempt, giving Yankowski the win. He went on to clear 13-6 before failing at 14-1.

Return to “New England Region”