Jackie Misner Article (PA)

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, New York, Delaware and New Jersey

Moderator: rainbowgirl28

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Jackie Misner Article (PA)

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Aug 04, 2005 12:34 am

http://www.berksmontnews.com/site/news. ... 2996&rfi=6

Saucon student scales new heights
By: Mary Caruso
08/03/2005

It's also not unusual for them to cross-over into multiple sports.

It is a bit unusual, however, for an athlete to cross-over into a new sport and immediately reach the top.

But that is exactly what Saucon Valley High School junior Jackie Misner is doing.

Previously a track member, Jackie only recently attended a Vertical Assault Pole Vault camp, and is already breaking records.

Her track coach, Ed Kolosky, encouraged her to try pole vault.

"He thought I would be good at it," Jackie said. "So I tried it.

"I thought it would be good training to work on my running speed and develop upper body strength."
Misner said the eight-week vault training started with no bar.

Campers practiced running, and two-step approaches.
"At 9-feet, 6-inches, many of them dropped out," she said. "We were using a 10-foot-pole."
Coach Mike Lawryk, founder and director of "Vertical Assault" then gave the girls an 11-foot, 6-inch pole to try.

It was then that Misner cleanly cleared the 10-foot mark.
She is now looking to compete in pole vaulting, and break the record of former Saucon Valley Janna Raudenbush, who cleared 9-feet, 6-inches at the States Championship.

The Misners, both Jackie and mom, Cheryl, are avid athletes.

The family moved to the Saucon Valley area from Missouri just four years ago.

Prior to the move, Jackie had shown much promise as a gymnast, even though she only started training at 10 years old.

"We didn't start her until she was 10," Cheryl said, "because a very good friend of mine was a professional gym teacher, and she advised against it. She said it was detrimental to very young joints. Too much pounding and stress on the joints while they are trying to grow. We didn't want Jackie to end up with pre-mature arthritis because of it."

Even at such a late start, Cheryl said Jackie caught up quickly.

It was one of the key factors in the family's move to the area.

Jackie soon joined the Allentown Parkettes and was a region qualifier.

Once at Saucon Valley, Jackie's interests mirrored her mother's love of track.

In her first season as a junior, her team was winning league championships, and Jackie was one of four girls to go to States.

Boys on the track team noticed her running, and encouraged her to try Powder Puff Football.

"We didn't think she would like it," Cheryl said. "She's always been kind of a 'girlie girl' as a gymnast. But the boys noticed her speed on the track, and told her to try it. After a few good spills, we saw she wasn't so 'girlie' after all."

Jackie attributes much of her speed and gumption to her mother, who was also a track athlete in her college days.

Cheryl has recently begun re-training along with her daughter.

She was instrumental in starting numerous track clubs in her New Jersey high school in an era when women's sports were pioneering.

"It's all about opportunity," Cheryl said. "It's not always the best athlete who excels, but the one who has the opportunity available to try."

Jackie has a younger sister, Christina, who is a freshman at Saucon Valley High School, and also aspiring in athletics.

"We want to give the girls every opportunity we can," Cheryl said. "After that, it's up to them."

Return to “Northeast Region”