INDOOR MEET RESULTS

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower
Favorite Vaulter: Chase Shealy

INDOOR MEET RESULTS

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:03 pm

We are a few weeks into the Indoor season and I have heard very little results. FEED ME PLEASE, I CRAVE RESULTS!

How is everyone jumping? What are the top marks so far? Elite, D1, D2, D3, Juco? Also, how are the great freshman vaulters (last years top HS guys and gals) doing so far?
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Jan 18, 2004 8:11 pm

Trackshark has all the results listed... and Gus already has rankings up that include Reno! :)

http://www.trackshark.com/
http://www.vaultworld.com/vaultngus

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:00 am

I've only competed in two meets so far...and only one of them was sort-of official... NH'd both of them...

Second one I was stuck using a pole I never use (14'145) considering I always use a 13'155... so of course I kept stalling... *sighs*

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:05 am

Lord of the Poles wrote:I've only competed in two meets so far... NH'd both of them...

Me too! :o

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower

Moving to a bigger pole.

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:25 am

Lord of the Poles wrote:Second one I was stuck using a pole I never use (14'145) considering I always use a 13'155... so of course I kept stalling... *sighs*

If you can answer a few questions, I'll be happy to try and help if you like.
1. Were you blowing through on the 13' 155? or was it not available to jump on?
2. How much if any did you adjust your grip height and/or run for the 14' 145 pole?
“Mediocre efforts are like meaty okra. It’s hard to chew and even tougher to swallow.” Rusty Shealy

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:47 am

1. The 13'155 was not available...it was supposed to be in our pole bag, but it wasn't...and none of the schools there didn't have one I could use...not even the school who was hosting the meet (Tufts).

2. My grip height was probably the same I hold it on the 13'155 (12'6"...around there)...and my run was the same (6 lefts)

mcminkz05
PV Great
Expertise: College Vaulter

Unread postby mcminkz05 » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:25 am

yeah, iv been to 1 and NH'd. interesting, i went from a 13' 155 to a 14' 145 too.. Only i blew through the 13' 155 really really bad, and never even knew i a 14' 145 available until i was out... :confused: i guess i get to use it next meet.
What have you done today to get better?

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:03 pm

Lord of the Poles wrote:1. The 13'155 was not available...it was supposed to be in our pole bag, but it wasn't...and none of the schools there didn't have one I could use...not even the school who was hosting the meet (Tufts).

2. My grip height was probably the same I hold it on the 13'155 (12'6"...around there)...and my run was the same (6 lefts)

It's no surprise that you couldn't get in on that pole. Have you heard the saying, "If you keep doing what you've been doing, you'll keep getting what you've been getting." :dazed: I hope my post makes since to you.

Using the same grip height and the same run will only put the same amount of energy into your vault. With normal bend, if you were getting where you should be on the 13' 155, and not blowing through, when you moved up to the 14' 145 (holding at the same height, that's moving "Up" about 10lbs with a slightly higher sail piece) you set yourself up to fail. :crying: Figure 20 lbs per foot, so if you hold down on the 14' 145 at say 13' it makes it 165 lbs+/-. You said you were holding approx 6" down on the 13' 155, so it became effectively a 165 lb+/- pole. The 14' 145 holding at the same height would be 18" down making it a 175 lb+/- pole. If the pole is 10 lbs stiffer, you have to put more energy into your vault to get to the same spot in the pit. To generate the extra energy, assuming you can continue to build your speed with an efficient takeoff, you can generate an extra 5 lbs+/- for each extra two lefts you back up. So if you were at 6 lefts, go to 8 lefts. It wouldn't hurt to move up a finger or two on your grip also. :yes:

Now let's say you were overbending. Because the 14' 145 is effectively 10lbs bigger at the same grip, if you back up one left and move your grip down about a fist (3") it should get you pretty close to the same spot in the pit. In other words, to move up 10 lbs in this senario: Back up one left = 5 lbs, and move down one fist = 5 lbs. This way even though your grip is lower, the pole will be moving much faster, you'll probably get more blow off the top, and jump higher. :idea:

Without actually seeing your vault it makes it hard to coach "Online". These adjustments should get you in the ballpark though. And don't forget Rule #1: "Never let go of the pole until you know where you are going to land!" Pit soft - ground hard. Also, find someone to coach you if you can. There are great coaches scattered around the country. You may have to drive a ways but it will be worth it if you want to vault high. Good luck with the adjustments! :D

TreyDECA
PV Pro
Expertise: Former HS, College, and current Elite vaulter/decathlete

Re: INDOOR MEET RESULTS

Unread postby TreyDECA » Mon Jan 19, 2004 1:31 pm

Carolina Extreme wrote:We are a few weeks into the Indoor season and I have heard very little results. FEED ME PLEASE, I CRAVE RESULTS!

How is everyone jumping? What are the top marks so far? Elite, D1, D2, D3, Juco? Also, how are the great freshman vaulters (last years top HS guys and gals) doing so far?

if we had an indoor i'd have some marks... but we don't, so i don't. i went up to earl's and lonnie watched me vault, i was rusty but still looked better than i did all of last year i think.

i might be headed to LSU next weekend to get some hurdles and jumps comp. in before outdoor, not sure on the vault. hoping to push 17'6 this year in a deca. and hopefully the same in open.
8700... mark it down

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:03 pm

Carolina Extreme wrote:Without actually seeing your vault it makes it hard to coach "Online". These adjustments should get you in the ballpark though. And don't forget Rule #1: "Never let go of the pole until you know where you are going to land!" Pit soft - ground hard. Also, find someone to coach you if you can. There are great coaches scattered around the country. You may have to drive a ways but it will be worth it if you want to vault high. Good luck with the adjustments! :D

Well, I go to Worcester State, and I go to Holy Cross every Wednesday to practice...so I get to see Coach Hoogasian to train...

and don't worry, I never forget that rule..haha...I've seen it happen so much...

I'll defintely have to look at what you told me and try to use it. Thanks for your help!

Carolina Extreme
PV Follower

Unread postby Carolina Extreme » Mon Jan 19, 2004 4:50 pm

Lord of the Poles wrote:Well, I go to Worcester State, and I go to Holy Cross every Wednesday to practice...so I get to see Coach Hoogasian to train...

and don't worry, I never forget that rule..haha...I've seen it happen so much...

I'll defintely have to look at what you told me and try to use it. Thanks for your help!

Let me know how it goes. :yes:

Lord of the Poles
PV Master

Unread postby Lord of the Poles » Sat Jan 24, 2004 9:25 pm

Sort of bringing up a dead topic:

I just had my second meet today...Tufts Invitational #2. I actually didn't stall at all. my grip was where I always have it (12'6" on a 13'155) I was planning on opening at 10'6", but feeling nervous I decided to open up at 10' (with standards at 50). I had a LOT of clearance at that height, and I felt a lot better about my jumping. I was landing pretty deep in the pit. 10'6" I missed my first attempt and then moved my standards back to 55, and I made it easy again. I was really pressing well. My standards ended up being as far back as 70 for my 12' attempts, but I kept kicking the bar on the way up because I was not getting inverted enough, obviously.

I had the shot put coach record my 12' attempts in case I made it...haha... so I'll get those online to show you. They were pretty good attempts, but no where as near as good as I did at Beach Vault. I feel so much better to be making heights again...tying my PR...woo

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”