Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Ken Schuchter Article

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:19 am

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/ ... 1079/rss04

Like wine, some skills improve with age

By Chuck Martin / Enquirer staff writer

Ken Schuchter Sr., has won plenty of medals in wine competitions since he founded Valley Vineyards Winery in Morrow in 1970. Now, Schuchter, 74, is aiming to compete in another field - one that requires running and jumping instead of sipping and swirling.

As a 1949 senior at Morrow High School (now called Little Miami), Schuchter competed in the Ohio state finals for high jumping and pole vaulting. Because of that experience, Schuchter agreed to coach family friend and Little Miami sophomore, Melissa Beerse, two years ago in track and field.

Since then, Melissa, 17, now a senior, has cleared 11 feet. She placed fifth in her division in the state competition last year.

After hearing so much about her coach's experience as an athlete, Melissa suggested this year that Schuchter try vaulting again. So with little training, Schuchter picked up a pole this summer and vaulted 5½ feet at a Loveland track competition open to seniors. At another meet a couple of weeks later, he cleared 6 feet.

Schuchter says that height ranks him 17th in the world for his age group, and he's ready to vault higher.

Question: So how has pole vaulting changed since 1949?

Answer: Then, we used bamboo poles. Now, they're made of fiberglass. Then we fell into a sawdust pit. Now, it's a big air-filled cushion.

Q: What did it feel like when you first tried to vault again?

A: It really is like riding a bike. You don't forget how to do some things.

Q: What was the most difficult part?

A: The running. I can't run like I used to.

Q: You must be in good shape. What's your secret?

A: I have good upper-body strength because I work in the vineyards. We have to put posts in the ground, and I dig them by hand. I also drink a glass of red wine a day.

Q: Just one glass a day?

A: One glass.

Q: Do you drink before you pole vault?

A: Not immediately before I jump. If I did, I really might have to wear a helmet.

Q: So what's next?

A: I'm going to start training again in the spring, work on my running, and hope to clear 7 feet. If I do, that'll put me in the top five in the world for guys age 75.

Q: And what will that mean to you?

A: Not much. Maybe a half dollar and a cup of coffee. But I've always prided myself as a good athlete.

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”