Hotel Suggestions for Kamloops?

All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Re: Hotel Suggestions for Kamloops?

Unread postby Bubba PV » Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:07 pm

It looks like I may be back on for this meet. What's the latest on the hotel situation? Thanks! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Sun Nov 15, 2009 12:37 pm

I don't remember my way around Kamloops, but try to save money on the hotel and save it for the restaurants.

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:16 pm

Someone asked me by PM about driving directions from Seattle to Kamloops, so here's an update to the information that I posted on pg 1 of this thread.

You should DEFINITELY take the Sumas crossing. That's a no brainer, and will save you up to 1-2 hours, compared to the biggest crossing at Blaine (or even the Lynden crossing). This is for 2 reasons: (a) savings of about an hour distance-wise; and (b) border crossing time. Normally, wait time at the border can be half an hour to an hour at Blaine, and less than half that at Sumas. March 1-6 is just after the Olympics in Vancouver, so border traffic is expected to be even heavier than normal. So your net savings is more than an hour.

When you get to Hope, there's a choice of the Fraser Canyon route or the Coquihalla route. Normally, the Coquihalla is faster, but can be treacherous (or even shut down) in bad snow/ice weather. This is becuz the "pass" thru the mountains is at a higher elevation. In early March, you can have balmy weather in Seattle and Vancouver, but WINTER CONDITIONS on the Coquihalla.

There's 2 things you should do on the morning that you leave Seattle.

1. Check the weather reports and webcams of each route. I've posted these on pg 1 of this thread ... and decide on a tentative route.

2. Check the large digital traffic sign that you'll see a few miles West of Hope. This is an overhead sign that tells you what highways are open, and what the conditions are. Be ready with what Hwy numbers go where (I forget at the moment), becuz you only have a few seconds to read the sign before you drive under it. You need to check this sign, becuz from the time you leave Seattle (with a tentative plan of taking one route or the other - based on webcams and weather reports), 3-4 hours will have passed - and the weather can change - DRASTICALLY during that time if a storm is imminent!

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:43 pm

Do US people need power converter plugs for electric sockets? Thanks! Bubba

Pogo Stick
PV Pro
Expertise: Former "College" Vaulter, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70/15'5
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:31 pm

Bubba PV wrote:Do US people need power converter plugs for electric sockets? Thanks! Bubba

No, same voltage, same frequency, same plugs. And in many cases from same plants. :)
-- Pogo

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." W. Edwards Deming

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:40 pm

Pogo, you must live downtown ... on MY side of Greater Vancouver, I don't have any electric plugs in MY igloo. ;)

Perhaps the only electronic thing you need to worry about is whether you have roaming coverage on your cell phone. Whether you do or you don't, it might be a problem ... depending on how available you want to make yourself. Depending on your plan ... it could cost a fortune to receive cross-border incoming calls that you would otherwise ignore ... so check your service provider's roaming rates.

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Pogo Stick
PV Pro

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:08 pm

KirkB wrote:Pogo, you must live downtown ... on MY side of Greater Vancouver, I don't have any electric plugs in MY igloo. ;)
Kirk

Got this yesterday. It's little bit off-topic, but I can't resist. :)

Believe it or not these questions about Canada were posted on an International Tourism Website.

Q: I have never seen it warm on Canadian TV, so how do the plants grow? (England)
A. We import all plants fully grown and then just sit around and watch them die.

Q: Will I be able to see Polar Bears in the street? (USA)
A: Depends on how much you've been drinking.

Q: I want to walk from Vancouver to Toronto - can I follow the Railroad tracks? (Sweden)
A: Sure, it's only four thousand miles, take lots of water.

Q: Is it safe to run around in the bushes in Canada ? (Sweden)
A: So it's true what they say about Swedes.

Q: Are there any ATM's (cash machines) in Canada ? Can you send me a list of them in Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton and Halifax? (England)
A: No, but you'd better bring a few extra furs for trading purposes.

Q: Can you give me some information about hippo racing in Canada ? (USA)
A: A-fri-ca is the big triangle shaped continent south of Europe Ca-na-da is that big country to your North...oh forget it. Sure, the hippo racing is every Tuesday night in Calgary. Come naked.

Q: Which direction is North in Canada ? (USA)
A: Face south and then turn 180 degrees Contact us when you get here and we'll send the rest of the directions..

Q: Can I bring cutlery into Canada ? (England)
A: Why? Just use your fingers like we do.

Q: Can you send me the Vienna Boys' Choir schedule? (USA)
A: Aus-tri-a is that quaint little country bordering Ger-man-y, which is...oh forget it. Sure, the Vienna Boys Choir plays every Tuesday night in Vancouver and in Calgary , straight after the hippo races. Come naked.

Q: Do you have perfume in Canada ? (Germany)
A: No, We don't stink.

Q: I have developed a new product that is the fountain of youth. Where can I sell it in Canada ? (USA)
A: Anywhere significant numbers of Americans gather.

Q: Can you tell me the regions in British Columbia where the female population is smaller than the male population? (Italy)
A: Yes, gay nightclubs.

Q: Do you celebrate Thanksgiving in Canada ? (USA)
A: Only at Thanksgiving.

Q: Are there supermarkets in Toronto and is milk available all year round? (Germany)
A: No, we are a peaceful civilization of Vegan hunter/gathers. Milk is illegal.

Q: Will I be able to speak English most places I go? (USA)
A: Yes, but you will have to learn it first.
-- Pogo

Bubba PV
PV Lover

Unread postby Bubba PV » Mon Jan 25, 2010 8:58 pm

Hello All. I'm flying in and out of Vancouver and need a hotel at the airport for the night I arrive and the night before I leave. Anyone know a decent hotel at the airport? Expedia shows everything 3-5 miles away and I get my car at the airport. Thanks! Bubba

Pogo Stick
PV Pro

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:05 pm

Bubba PV wrote:Hello All. I'm flying in and out of Vancouver and need a hotel at the airport for the night I arrive and the night before I leave. Anyone know a decent hotel at the airport? Expedia shows everything 3-5 miles away and I get my car at the airport. Thanks! Bubba

Fairmont Vancouver hotel is right at the airport, right behind US terminal. It cannot be closer.
Delta is just few bus stops from airport (3500 Cessna Drive). Also, almost all hotels offer shuttle service to and from airport.
-- Pogo

Pogo Stick
PV Pro

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:06 pm

Pogo Stick wrote:
Bubba PV wrote:Hello All. I'm flying in and out of Vancouver and need a hotel at the airport for the night I arrive and the night before I leave. Anyone know a decent hotel at the airport? Expedia shows everything 3-5 miles away and I get my car at the airport. Thanks! Bubba

Fairmont Vancouver hotel is at the airport, right behind US terminal. It cannot be closer.
Delta is just few bus stops from airport (3500 Cessna Drive). Also, almost all hotels offer shuttle service to and from airport.
-- Pogo

Bubba PV
PV Lover

Unread postby Bubba PV » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:13 pm

Perfect. I saw that as a choice. Thank you!! Bubba

PS - we were flying to Kamloops but my wife wants to go to Whistler afterwards so we figure we should be tourists. Really looking forward to cruising the countryside!

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Mon Jan 25, 2010 9:32 pm

Bubba PV wrote:Perfect. I saw that as a choice. Thank you!! Bubba

PS - we were flying to Kamloops but my wife wants to go to Whistler afterwards so we figure we should be tourists. Really looking forward to cruising the countryside!

Nice to hear that you'll be enjoying Beautiful British Columbia. You'll be getting to Whistler just a couple weeks after the Olympics ... so you might still have trouble finding a room ... so I advise you to book it NOW!

Instead of thru Vancouver, there's a more direct highway route from Kamloops to Whistler that you might want to consider ... weather permitting. Just look on the map and you'll see it ... thru Pemberton.

I'm surprised that the Richmond (airport) hotels are advertised at 3-5 miles away. I would bet 3-5 MINUTES. Maybe it was 3-5 km, but at any rate ... as Pogo says ... it's a very short free shuttle ride.

Another MUST side-trip for you is to take the Canada Line (communter train) from Richmond into Vancouver ... to see the aftermath of the Olympics. There will still be lots of tourists in the area, and lots going on.

Enjoy!

Kirk

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”