Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

KirkB
PV Rock Star
Expertise: Former College Vaulter; Former Elite Vaulter; Former Coach; Fan
Lifetime Best: 5.34
Favorite Vaulter: Thiago da Silva

Pogo Stick making a Masters comeback!

Unread postby KirkB » Mon May 18, 2009 2:29 pm

This is my first post on this forum, since I'm a "new" (old) coach with a "new" (old) athlete.

My athlete is none other than Pogo Stick, who competed for Yugoslavia in the 1980s, and now lives in Vancouver, Canada.

His comeback thread is in the Video Review form here http://www.polevaultpower.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=17762.

After only a single training session over a bar (bungie), I'm already very proud of Pogo - my new (old) protoge! :yes:

At age 46, he has a good future ahead of him as a Master vaulter ... if he can only stay healthy.

That's where we need some coaching help. We know that HEALTH is the #1 determinant of success as a Master. For that matter, I would say that it's also a prime factor for young vaulters too!

One of the reasons why we were so late in "getting over a bar" this year is because Pogo injured his hamstring a couple of months ago, and we thought he was fully recovered now. However, on his last jump of the day (in the vid), he re-injured it ... hopefully only slightly.

He had a good warmup ... we were very careful of that ... but perhaps was running too fast or straining too hard on the takeoff. His mind was willing, but his body didn't cooperate!

He has a Masters meet next weekend, and we're hoping that he can jump. You know he WANTS to compete very badly.

So what to do? How to warm up? How to rehab between now and next Saturday? Should he jump, or should he throw in the towel for another couple months?

Some of you old fogies know the best answers to these questions. We appreciate all the coaching help we can get! :dazed:

On a positive note, Pogo is extremely fast down the runway for his age (as you can see on the vid), and he doesn't seem to have lost much technique ... he's got what it takes! :yes:

Pogo, I also think you should consider a slightly lighter pole ... so that you don't jar your shoulder on takeoff ... and perhaps you can run a bit slower (or takeoff a little less vigorously) ... and still keep decent pole speed? :dazed:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

ifavault
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former high school vaulter. Former college vaulter at CC level. Future centenarian WR holder!

Re: Pogo Stick making a Masters comeback!

Unread postby ifavault » Mon May 18, 2009 9:35 pm

As a physical therapist, here are a few comments:

First, if he's pulled a hamstring, it doesn't need to be "pulled" even more by immediate or aggressive stretching. Mild stretching at most a week or better after initial injury. With a meet next weekend, it's probably pushing it to jump that early, but depending on how bad this second strain is, for the best chance I'd spend a fair amount of time on a stationary bike with essentially no resistance. Ice for 10-15 minutes a couple of times per day after biking (literally sitting on a flat ice pack on a kitchen chair with the weight of the leg weighing it down is one good method...cold, but not "freezer burn" levels. Try and get the middle of the HS as well as the ischial tuberosity...the bone you can feel when you sit.) Then, I'd buy one of those neoprene thigh wraps to compress the leg and keep it warm with his warm-ups and competition and light jogging and walking this week.

A few light pole runs on the track should tell him what to expect the day of the meet. Take a few stiff pole pop-ups with a light and then stronger swing progression. If he feels it at all, I'd advise him not to jump for risk of missing several more months from acute strain.

When the opportunity for off-season rolls around, a series of massages to the legs would help. (Could even start that this week before the meet, but not too aggressive or long.) I'd also have him consider some total-body stretching with a slow yoga progression. This will improve flexibility throughout the body to help prevent future injury, as I'm sure that the 46 year old hamstrings aren't the only tight components of his body.

I'm not quite as old as some of the true masters competitors, so I'm sure a few of them can provide some of their personal "remedies", but that gives you guys a start. Good luck. Pace yourselves.

ifavault
http://www.inflightathletics.com
"Pole Vaulting...The Natural High"

Pogo Stick
PV Pro
Expertise: Former "College" Vaulter, Masters Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.70/15'5
Favorite Vaulter: Władysław Kozakiewicz

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Tue May 19, 2009 3:30 am

KirkB wrote:On a positive note, Pogo is extremely fast down the runway for his age (as you can see on the vid), and he doesn't seem to have lost much technique ... he's got what it takes! :yes:

Thanks for nice words Kirk! By my calculations speed in last 5m was around 7m/s. Last jump was even slightly faster. I was so eager to went over the bar that I probably made too many jumps. I did not listen my body and warning signs. Regarding technique, this is pretty much how I was jumping before (minus speed and strength). I have no any video or movie of my old jumps, but the felling is very similar. The only change I made was to emphasize swing – something I was not doing conscious back then.

Pogo, I also think you should consider a slightly lighter pole ... so that you don't jar your shoulder on takeoff ... and perhaps you can run a bit slower (or takeoff a little less vigorously) ... and still keep decent pole speed? :dazed:

For Saturday I have two plans:
1. run as fast (slow) as leg allows, use soft pole and flat take-off. I never do flat take-off – it will be challenging.
2. jump like "normal" people, I mean right handers(I am leftie).
-- Pogo

"It is not necessary to change. Survival is not mandatory." W. Edwards Deming

Pogo Stick
PV Pro

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Tue May 19, 2009 3:50 am

ifavault wrote:As a physical therapist, here are a few comments:

First, if he's pulled a hamstring, it doesn't need to be "pulled" even more by immediate or aggressive stretching. Mild stretching at most a week or better after initial injury. With a meet next weekend, it's probably pushing it to jump that early, but depending on how bad this second strain is, for the best chance I'd spend a fair amount of time on a stationary bike with essentially no resistance. Ice for 10-15 minutes a couple of times per day after biking (literally sitting on a flat ice pack on a kitchen chair with the weight of the leg weighing it down is one good method...cold, but not "freezer burn" levels. Try and get the middle of the HS as well as the ischial tuberosity...the bone you can feel when you sit.) Then, I'd buy one of those neoprene thigh wraps to compress the leg and keep it warm with his warm-ups and competition and light jogging and walking this week.

Thanks for valuable comments. My recovery is going well, although is too early for conclusions. I was applying ice, light stretching and very light self massage. I ride the bike today with kids and did not feel any pain.
Let me try to describe injury. The painful area is pretty low, closer to knee and little bit outside. Looking on hamstring drawings from anatomy books I would say it is Biceps Femoris. I feel the pain if drop leg down quickly. I can jump up from static position and I can do squats with body weight with no pain. Tomorrow I will start with light exercises in the pool.

When the opportunity for off-season rolls around, a series of massages to the legs would help. (Could even start that this week before the meet, but not too aggressive or long.) I'd also have him consider some total-body stretching with a slow yoga progression. This will improve flexibility throughout the body to help prevent future injury, as I'm sure that the 46 year old hamstrings aren't the only tight components of his body.

This is something I definitely need to work at. After few too quick attempts to come back, all ending with injuries, I am doing smarter this year, but obviously not smart enough. :( I have long term goals. My plan for this year was general body conditioning and few vaulting if possible. No weight lifting, no gymnastic, just slow and steady general improvement. As Souleman said: "A 60% to 65% effort in your head is about a 100% effort on your body"
[/quote]
-- Pogo

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Tue May 19, 2009 10:08 am

I just skimmed the other entries (I've really got to get to work if you know what I mean) so if this has been said already, I'm sorry. I say the following to all "comebackers" who contact me or Bubba, (who in turn sends the contact to me). First of all Pogo (and you too Kirk) you have to realize and accept a hard core fact. Pogo has an 18 year old brain sitting on top of that 46 year old body. What does that mean? Well simply put, he is jumping and training with the same effort (mentally) as when he was younger. CAN'T DO THAT NOW! He's already had an experience with that fact. For seniors (over 50) I usually recommend a 60% to 65% effort up in the old mellon to produce a 100% effect on the ol' bod. In Pogo's case, as well as he runs and as good of shape that he is in, he could probably push it to 70% to 75%. A very important strategic part of masters vaulting is taking into account what your biggest "competitor" is going to be able to do on a particular day. That "competitor" is the body you live in. Does the athlete have 10 jumps in him for the day or 20? That has to be determined as much before hand as possible. He also has to have the sense to quit (which will feel to him) way before he thinks he should on a particular day. Gone are the days of not ending a practice on a miss or figuring "ah heck, one more jump isn't going to hurt anything". That's when we get hurt. It's the hardest thing to take into account in all of this. If you have your youngsters jumping three times a week, Pogo should only be jumping twice at most. That doesn't mean he can't do pole runs, plant drills or sled runs and bar work. Key thing is, as Bubba says, "always stay just on this side of pain". There have been days when I have scheduled a jump day. I'll get all warmed up and out in the back yard and do a couple of jumps and know that I'm not any good for that day. It's hard to do but when that happens I just put away the pole and the pit and wait till the next scheduled jump day. Invariably on days that I haven't done that is when I will pull something or hurt myself. Worst part is, when we get hurt at this age, it takes forever to heal. Be sure to keep the mental thing in mind. Kirk, don't be afraid to tell Pogo "put the pole down, you've had enough for today". Hope this gives you guys a little more insight to this masters vaulting thing that we are so glad that Pogo is coming back to. Later...........Mike
Last edited by souleman on Wed May 20, 2009 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Wed May 20, 2009 1:45 am

Souleman and Ifavault, thanks for all your advice and encouragement. I'm in new territory when it comes to coaching veterans like Pogo. Andsince he's also in new territory, we both appreciate the help!
souleman wrote: That doesn't mean he can do pole runs, plant drills or sled runs and bar work.

You mean can't, right? Just checking.

He's been playing soccer once per week and running once per week lately. Hammy problem aside, I'm thinking that this isn't enough. We'll follow the advice of both of you ... especially during hammy rehab ... but I'm thinking that one additional running day would be better. Pogo does have a busy work and family life (twins!), but maybe picking a day halfway between his soccer day and his other running day to do "flying 30s"? ... with slow acceleration/deceleration and a 170 walk/jog between each rep? The speed should be judged by what feels right (re hammy) but never 100%. Maybe the 70%-75% that you speak of, Souleman? And the number of reps should basically be judged by how he feels that day?

I'm used to advising kids to set a goal prior to the start of a workout of a certain number of reps on any drills (doing "flying 50s with 150 jog" ... not 30s ... for example) ... and then sticking with it ... even if they're dog-tired ... but I'm wondering if my adjustments of these ideas make for sense for a master vaulter? Purpose being to strengthen the hammies without stressing them too much.

If you can think of a better program, please advise. Thanks! :yes:

Kirk
Run. Plant. Jump. Stretch. Whip. Extend. Fly. Clear. There is no tuck! THERE IS NO DELAY!

Pogo Stick
PV Pro

Unread postby Pogo Stick » Wed May 20, 2009 2:54 am

souleman wrote:A very important strategic part of masters vaulting is taking into account what your biggest "competitor" is going to be able to do on a particular day. That "competitor" is the body you live in. Does the athlete have 10 jumps in him for the day or 20? That has to be determined as much before hand as possible. He also has to have the sense to quit (which will feel to him) way before he thinks he should on a particular day. Gone are the days of not ending a practice on a miss or figuring "ah heck, one more jump isn't going to hurt anything". That's when we get hurt. It's the hardest thing to take into account in all of this.

Words of wisdom and experience. Thanks Mike. I am keeping the papers with your 60% theory everywhere - at work, house, computers, in the car, and repeating them as mantra.

Worst part is, when we get hurt at this age, it takes forever to heal.

That's so bloody true. Even small bruises or cuts heal too slow.
-- Pogo

souleman
PV Lover

Unread postby souleman » Wed May 20, 2009 7:50 pm

Now that I'm back home from two days on the road, you're right, I did mean "can't". Sorry, like I said I was on my way out the door to go to hit the road for work. Later............Mike

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Wed May 20, 2009 9:04 pm

Great thread and great contributions!! My LOVES for today!!

• That PogoStick is jumping again and having fun. Favorite vaulter- Wally? Heck yes!!
• That a brilliant pole vault mind like Kirk has taken on this fun coaching challenge. That can only help all of us fossils.
• That Mark, PT at In Flight, who I GREATLY respect, jumped in with real advice you can trust.
• That Mike “Souleman” Soule has made it his mission to help newcomers.

You are all tremendous!! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

KirkB
PV Rock Star

Unread postby KirkB » Wed May 20, 2009 9:53 pm

Thanks Bubba!

It should also be mentioned that Pogo and I met online.

No ... not thru an online dating service :D ... but on PVP Private Messaging!

Based on our physical proximity to each other ... his need for a coach ... and my desire to get back into active coaching (as opposed to couch potato coaching) ... we met up! :yes:

Kirk

souleman
PV Lover

Unread postby souleman » Wed May 20, 2009 10:31 pm

Kirk,
You wrote;

"I'm used to advising kids to set a goal prior to the start of a workout of a certain number of reps on any drills (doing "flying 50s with 150 jog" ... not 30s ... for example) ... and then sticking with it ... even if they're dog-tired ... but I'm wondering if my adjustments of these ideas make for sense for a master vaulter?"

I wouldn't approach masters training this way. Keep in mind every athlete's wish is to "get the work done and please the coach". With this approach, Pogo (and any other masters athlete you work with) will try to give you what you ask for. That's where the potential for trouble can lie. Instead, have the master plan (the set forth goals as you mentioned) and start out by knocking them back to about 50% with the idea of trying to get to the goals as an end result and not a "let's do this today" thing. Put no time frame on any goal. Masters aren't under the gun at all. We've got all of the time in the world. Both you and Pogo need to understand that this isn't a mission any more like when we were kids.....THIS IS FUN! (Bubba keeps reminding me of this all of the time). Now am I saying to "loaf" through this deal? Not at all. But as a coach it's a day to day thing at this point. Ask yourself "how does he look today"? Then go from there. Later............Mike

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Wed May 20, 2009 11:53 pm

Pogo Stick wrote:...I did not listen my body and warning signs. ...

Masters Rule Number 1: Listen to your body!
Masters Rule Number 2: Listen to your body!
and in case you can't guess...
Masters Rule Number 3: Listen to your body!

Now that I have your attention, I can tell you it took me 2+ years at the beginning of my 'comeback' to learn those 3 lessons. I had two serious hamstring pulls in EACH leg in those first years. That is not very much fun. There were other problems too. To compete you have to be able to run down the runway. As an old guy (now 63) I know it takes so much longer to truly recover from a serious pull, there is no situation that justifies taking the risk of injury.

At the very first indication that a muscle isn't happy, reconsider your situation and ask yourself if you want to be able to jump in a week? If you do, the correct answer is likely to cool down easily and then ice the problem area. The vault is an explosive event and our older bodies have much less elasticity in the tendons and ligaments. This puts us more at risk.

I will share an approach I have adopted during the past 3 years that is likely to be considered controversial. I do very little static stretching. My body seems to be reasonably happy with the kind of simple warm up running I do, including some high-knee, claw strike runs. Of course I start those gently and build a little but never as aggressively as I could. I feel that routine prepares my body more for what it experiences during my vaulting. When I do my approach run, I also try to build speed smoothly and try to pick up the tempo during the last 6 steps.

Well another characteristic of getting older is coming into play now.... I'm talking too much and probably not saying much worth while. So....

- master

PS Note the first word in the rules above is Masters, not master's ;)

PSS Welcome back Pogo Stick! :yes:

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”