Souleman's "Back to Training" Videos

All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Souleman's "Back to Training" Videos

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:29 am

My buddy, Mike Soule, has been the resident greeter for quite some time when guiding vaulters back into the system of training after being removed from the sport for many years. How does one get started again? Mike is a fantastic “tour guide” and a wealth of information.

“Souleman” does a great job of helping us adjust our body’s ability to keep up with what the brain wants it to do. To that end, he set up a myspace page to go right down to the very basics of getting going again and it was covered by Ken Stone on his Masters Track Blog. Enjoy!! Bubba

http://masterstrack.com/blog/002985.html
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

2-15-46
PV Pro

Re: Souleman's "Back to Training" Videos

Unread postby 2-15-46 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:49 pm

Way to go Mikey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A man that understand the game at this stage!!!!!
Bob

2-15-46
PV Pro

Unread postby 2-15-46 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 7:59 pm

End Result
st.jpg
Me after two weeks of Mike's Vids
st.jpg (39.66 KiB) Viewed 5007 times
Bob

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:51 pm

OK, based on Bob's post I should place this disclaimer, "past results don't necessarily indicate future results". He He! Anyway, thanks Bubba for posting this info. Bubba and I have gotten several inquiries regarding getting back to vaulting at an "advanced" age. That is why I put this together. One point that Bubba brought up addresses the adding weight scenario that I talked about in the video. Actually, what you will want to do is (during the 2 to 4 week ramp up) is shorten that rest period between sets. Once those periods get to a 5 to 10 breath length, and the reps becoming too easy, that's when you will add weight. GO SLOW! Add minimal weight when you do add weight. Regarding equipment? I did a quick perusal of Ebay and found a Jake machine for $25. So if you shop a little bit, you can put the same gym I've got for less than a couple hundred bucks. Here's that Ebay address, http://cgi.ebay.com/BODY-BY-JAKE-Sit-Up ... 1|294%3A50
The bike might be a problem. I found this one on Ebay for $47 http://cgi.ebay.com/Nordic-Track-Recumb ... 1|294%3A50
but no shipping option. Up here in Minnesota we have a franchise of used sporting goods stores called Play It Again Sports. I got some of my weight plates there for $0.60 a pound. I'm guessing you can find a bike there pretty cheap or just keep track of Ebay and Craigslist. Good luck and if you have any questions please ask. Later..........Mike
P.S. my myspace address is www.myspace.com/mikesoulewyomingmn

ladyvolspvcoach
PV Follower

Unread postby ladyvolspvcoach » Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:12 pm

Souleman rocks!!

Awesome job, Mike! What great instruction and terrific guidance...bet you had a ball making them...

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:48 pm

Hey Mike:

Nice job!

Also, it's nice to be able to put a face with a handle.

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”