BIG Problems with National Senior Games Schedule

All things masters pole vaulting.

Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

BIG Problems with National Senior Games Schedule

Unread postby Bubba PV » Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:49 pm

If you're going to the National Senior Games at Stanford, you'll want to read this and respond in mass to http://www.2009seniorgames.org/faq-contact-us You fill out a form with your request. If you want to call it's (650) 323-9400 between 9:00am and 5:00pm PST. Bubba

This is what I sent to Ken Stone for his action. He's the master!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Heyyyyyyyyyyyyy Ken. I don’t know if you have checked to National Senior Games website schedule but we have a MAJOR problem brewing that affects all field events. When there are major problems, I call on the greatest problem solver, the Track CEO, Ken Stone. Here’s the deal.

A short while ago the NSG posted their schedule and it showed the M50-64 PV is Sunday, August 9. Previous to this posting we were told to be patient while they got the schedule finalized because they realize that 12,000+ athletes and family are coming and need top book travel and rooms. So I’m thrilled to have my date so I can get a room before they are all snatched up. I book my room and the rooms for our trip to Lake Tahoe and back to the Fisherman’s Wharf area of San Francisco to end a wonderful vacation. So I arrive the day before, then jump and get out of there. Not so.

We get an email last week that boasts that its schedule is now online. The problem is that now, not only do I vault on Monday (not Sunday as originally posted), but I have to qualify on Saturday also. All of my reservations and my vacation is now blown to bits. I don’t want to be in Palo Alto for four days and who EVER has prelims for the PV (or other field events), especially at a place with two pits side by side and two others available?

There should be no prelims – what, I’ve got to make 8’ to get in the final 12, and a lot won’t even have 12 jumpers. They show the HJ as being the same thing. Can you look into this and find out what is happening. Thanks buddy!! Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

2-15-46
PV Pro

Re: BIG Problems with National Senior Games Schedule

Unread postby 2-15-46 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:34 pm

Glad you found that Bubba...... sure does go against the grain we've been used too........ that will definately put us in a bind....
Bob

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:59 pm

That reminds me of Eugene (1987?) when the meet organizers thought it would be smart to run all the age divisions together and go up 10 cm at a time.

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:11 pm

I'm sure there probably is a reasonable explanation for the schedule.........no, there really can't be. The bottom line is if someone has qualified at their state games they should be allowed to jump in the "finals". GEEZ! What do they think this is.....the international Olympics? First of all, to get to CA and stay for a day or two, a guy (or gal) is going to drop a grand easily. That being the case......if you pay the dough you should get to jump. Simple as that. Later......Mike

P.S. Maybe they think this is bigger than it is.....c'mon.....I was at Louisville

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN

Unread postby Bubba PV » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:30 pm

It was brought to my attention that maybe they plan to run the entire M50-64 in one group. THAT would be a disaster. Why can't they just look at how it was done in Louisville? They were there!! Bubba

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:34 pm

Sounds worse than USATF!

Bubba PV
PV Lover

Unread postby Bubba PV » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:38 pm

I'm with Mike - the expense of now getting in on Friday to jump Saturday and Monday, means you stay over Monday night because you have no idea what time you jump Monday. My wife Nancy, who wants to see NoCal, doesn't think four out of our seven nights being spent in Palo Alto is a vacation. Now we're looking for a beach house for the week as a home base and I'll take her to Tahoe from Reno. Bubba

2-15-46
PV Pro

Unread postby 2-15-46 » Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:52 pm

Just wrote them an email to re-evaluate the sched. I tol;d them this was the National Senior Games not the World Olympics and we were not sponsored by major corprorations to attend. Also told them that i thought the rules were to qualify in state and regional meets for the field event finals. I also told them that if they were going to pick up our expenses to come out and participate then that would work!! Wonder if I'll get a reply??????

Sounds like TRACK LIVE is running it!!!
Bob

pvwoody
PV Beginner

Unread postby pvwoody » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:53 pm

...and if it rains, we get to stay until Wednesday!!

Bubba PV
PV Lover

Unread postby Bubba PV » Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:02 pm

Speaking of BIG, I saw that the Texas Seniors Games results have been entered in the national computer so therefore I was allowed to proceed to the required online entry. I tried to get in before just to see the fees. Mission accomplished as I got entered - for $122. That's $115 for the first (and only) sport and event, plus $7 for processing.

I told my training partner, Don Curry, about the increase (I think Louisville was $85) and he figures it’s because we get to jump twice – prelims and finals. :D Bubba

2-15-46
PV Pro

Unread postby 2-15-46 » Sat Nov 15, 2008 11:23 am

Bubba PV wrote:Speaking of BIG, I saw that the Texas Seniors Games results have been entered in the national computer so therefore I was allowed to proceed to the required online entry. I tried to get in before just to see the fees. Mission accomplished as I got entered - for $122. That's $115 for the first (and only) sport and event, plus $7 for processing.

I told my training partner, Don Curry, about the increase (I think Louisville was $85) and he figures it’s because we get to jump twice – prelims and finals. :D Bubba

as I remember the fee at Louisville was $100 ,Bubba!
Bob

Bubba PV
PV Lover

Unread postby Bubba PV » Sat Nov 15, 2008 9:50 pm

When you get old, you've still got a good memory, it's just short. You'll find that out someday Bob. ;) Bubba

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”