Moderators: Russ, vaultmd

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:57 pm

Who lent you the poles? I need to make a notation in the "good vibes" column.

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Mon Mar 20, 2006 3:03 pm

AWESOME DAN!!! CONGRATS!! See you in Boaton!

Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:51 pm

http://www.usatf.org/news/view.aspx?DUI ... 0_14_21_37

Dan Holton won the M35 pole vault with a jump of 4.40m/14-5.25-- the only non-European in the field.

DBH027
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, High School Coach, Former College Coach

Unread postby DBH027 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 4:39 am

vaultmd wrote:Who lent you the poles? I need to make a notation in the "good vibes" column.

Our good friends from Great Britain lent me two poles that were in the exact range I needed...

thanks to Allan Williams and Allan Leiper...Allan W facilitated the loan and the were Allan L's poles...also, the Brits helped by giving me coaching during the comp which was a huge help since I had no coach there!

nambi
PV Fan

Unread postby nambi » Wed Mar 22, 2006 12:51 pm

Congratulations, Dan.

I have a question regarding coaching. Officials have specifically stated that no one can coach or help me except for my fellow competitors. I appreciate their help but with the ladies this is a "blind leading the blind" situation. For example, at the nationals the two ladies getting my step had my step about three feet apart. Also, I should know whether I am using too big or small a pole, but I don't. I am especially nervous about this lack of coaching as I haven't been able to practice and don't have the confidence that is necessary to avoid getting hurt.

My question is how does one get coaching or help without breaking the rules?

DBH027
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, High School Coach, Former College Coach

Unread postby DBH027 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:11 pm

I need to review the rules to see what they say exactley, but there was a coaching section set up in the stands and I simply looked into the stands and they yelled down what I was doing wrong...also they could give me my step by simply pointing and directing my foot forwards and back...there were some hand signals too, I understood what they were saying regarding getting back, etc.

I have never been told it was illegal, but then again I really haven't had a coach since doing Masters....

they should allow this since it is a saftey issue, not like we are at the NCAA championships looking for some unfair advantage or something..

If you are at Boston I would be happy to discuss pole selection and some cues you could use to help know if you need a stifer pole, etc.

Let me know.....

nambi
PV Fan

Unread postby nambi » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:25 pm

Thanks. I appreciate your help as well as some signal ideas.

I need to review the rules, also. But, I have found that even if I know an official is wrong, the midst of competition is not a good time to correct him/her.

DBH027
PV Nerd

Unread postby DBH027 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:27 pm

just checked the rules, you can receive help from someone outside the competition area, per the 2006 USATF rules, page 72:

rule 144-3- states:

Verbal or other communication, without the use of any technical device, from an individual who is not in the competition area to an athlete who is in the competition area shall not be considered assistance. In order to facilitate this communication and not to disturb the staging of the competition, it is recommended that a place in the stands, close to the immediate site of each field event, be reserved for the athletes' coaches

...so your coach can talk to you as long as your coach is not in the competition area and you are....they even suggesting setting up a coaching section similar to Linz...sounds like you have some officials who don't know the rules unless I am missing something...actually per the letter of some other rules, help from other athletes IS considered assistance and could be a problem....

Next time they give you guff...make them show you the rule book and site this rule

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:27 pm

Nambi's question prompted me to read my rule book. (Caution: it is a 2004 Rule Book). Rule 144 - 2. (a) states:
Verbal or other communication, without the use of any technical device, from an individual who is not in the competition area to an athlete who is in the competition area shall not be considered assistance. In order to facilitate this communication and not to disturb the staging of the competition, it is recommended that a place in the stands, close to the immediate site of each field event, be reserved for the athletes' coaches.

It sounds like getting someone to do for us, what they did for Dan at the Worlds, is the right way to go. Does anyone else have any thoughts?

- master

DBH027
PV Nerd

Unread postby DBH027 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:30 pm

master wrote:Nambi's question prompted me to read my rule book. (Caution: it is a 2004 Rule Book). Rule 144 - 2. (a) states:
- master

Rule is still good in 2006 except now it is 144 - 3 (a)

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:40 pm

DBH027 wrote:...actually per the letter of some other rules, help from other athletes IS considered assistance and could be a problem....

That's the way I read it also.

- master

nambi
PV Fan

Unread postby nambi » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:49 pm

Wow! This is great. Thanks for all of your help. I just copied the rule and stuck it in my bag. Now, if I can just get the courage to use it.....

I hate to give the officials any more trouble than I already do. All that measuring and remeasuring is extra work and slows down the competition for everyone else. However, any measuring done for me in Boston will be a miracle. I am mostly worried about getting hurt. Can you believe anyone this anxiety ridden pole vaults? And, I'm twice as bad with the hurdles.

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”