Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Master pole vaulter: Jerry Hock sets bar, goals high

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 1:18 am

http://www.thefranklinpress.com/article ... sports.txt

Master pole vaulter: Hock sets bar, goals high
By Andy Scheidler

Photo/Eric Negley Jerry Hock clears the bar on one of his jumps at the World Masters Track and Field Championships. Hock won his age division, clearing a season best 11 feet 6 inches.
sports@thefranklinpress.com

After pole vaulting for many years, Jerry Hock gave it up around age 40 to spend time raising his kids.

But about three years ago, Hock met a woman named Jennifer who worked as an aerobics instructor (the two are now married). Wanting to show off his physical prowess, Hock picked up the pole again.

Now, at age 56, Hock is dominating Masters events. He's gone undefeated at eight meets this year, including a first place finish in his age group at the World Masters Track and Field Championships.

"I really don't have any words for it," Hock said. "It gave me confidence that I can jump even higher. I'm happy with the way I competed."

Hock cleared a personal-best this year of 11 feet 6 inches at the World meet, held Aug. 28-31 at the National Training Center in Clermont, Fla.

The most gratifying part of the competition for Hock was clearing each jump on the first attempt. He started at 10-2, then progressed to 10-8, 11-2 and 11-6.

He came close to clearing 11-10 in his final jumps.

There was only one other competitor in Hock's age group of 55-59. However, his jump of 11-6 would have placed third overall in the 40-and-older Masters division.

Hock didn't attend the USA National meet in Spokane, Wash., in August. But had he jumped the same height there, he would have finished third in his age division.

Rejuvenation

Hock is a former NJCAA All-American, who cleared 16-2 in 1976. He's taught and coached pole vault at Franklin High School for the past six years.

He was jumping around 15 feet when he quit vaulting at age 40. And even though a decade had passed, Hock expected to at least jump around 13 feet, close to the American record for his age.

"I expected to break all records," Hock said. "I thought, 'I can jump 13 feet in my sleep.' But it just didn't happen. It was a lot tougher when I started back and I was about 25 pounds heavier."

Hock has trimmed the weight over the past three years, as he's steadily progressed in his quest to break the American record.

His win at the World Championships was No. 8 on the year. A couple of those wins included stops at the Southeast Masters Championships (held in South Carolina) and the Georgia State Games (held in Marietta, Ga.).

"I still think of myself as a 16-foot jumper, and I jump 11-6 and it's like, 'eh, that's not so hot.' But then I go to all these meets and I'm winning them at 11-6," Hock said.

Next on the schedule is a meet in November in Fitzgerald, Ga. Hock's goal is to clear 12 feet, thus improving and closing in on the record.

"I think I can jump a lot higher," he said.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: Master pole vaulter: Jerry Hock sets bar, goals high

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:00 am

I stumbled across his website today: http://www.polevaulthigher.com/

Bubba PV
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, College Coach, Former Elite Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, FAN
Lifetime Best: 5.51
Favorite Vaulter: Bubka

Unread postby Bubba PV » Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:42 pm

I got to meet Jerry at USATF Masters Outdoors in Charlottte in 2006. Very nice guy and a good artist too. He gave me a really nice vault sequence poster he made for Essx. It's still up in the workout area of my garage. Bubba
Bubba Sparks - www.bubbapv.com

Support Becca & Pole Vault Power

vaultmd
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Coach, Doctor
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Laura Huarte

Unread postby vaultmd » Fri Sep 12, 2008 3:18 pm

Jerry's an awesome dude. I'm glad he's back.

Jerry, if you read this, get your a** to Reno for the Summit.

Wilson

Return to “Pole Vault - Masters”