Lilmicmike
PV Beginner
Expertise: college freshmen
Lifetime Best: 17'2"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Can't get my rhythm back.

Unread postby Lilmicmike » Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:30 pm

a little update on myself, i am a college freshmen vaulter. started jumping 4 years ago and in my senior year i jumped 17'2 from a 9 left. i never lifted in high school and gained 15pounds in my first semester. lifted 4 days a week and now i am in competition mode and can't get my long run back. i jump 16'9 from a 6 left on a 15' gripping 14'6 take off around 12. i jumped on 5m sticks and prided myself on my run and takeoff. i run a 4.49 40yd and 11.3 100m. i also relied on my speed to make up for no top end. i have jumped 16'3 in 2 meets and nh in 2. when i get back to my 9left run i come out a tad stronger than i was used to and hit my mid but my last 4 steps are just awfully slow. i need to take off at 14' but am consistently getting ripped of the ground at 12'. have SECs in a week and I'm looking for some wisdom on how to proceed with my training and competing.i don't believe it is a mental block because i leave the ground every time but my run feels so foreign. thank you.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Re: Can't get my rhythm back.

Unread postby dj » Fri Feb 19, 2016 4:00 pm

what Mid are you using...

and have you done any approach runs on the track to "clean up" the acceleration, pole drop, posture, etc?

dj

Lilmicmike
PV Beginner
Expertise: college freshmen
Lifetime Best: 17'2"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Sam Kendricks

Re: Can't get my rhythm back.

Unread postby Lilmicmike » Sun Feb 21, 2016 2:48 pm

My mid is my 5th left. I do full approach slide box and pull runs 4 times a week trying to get it back. In my pole runs I can leave the ground very well but once the bit come to play I'm not setting myself up to leave the ground. I just run into the plant.

Return to “Pole Vault - College”