How high as a sophomore in high school?

News about national level high school pole vaulting, pole vaulters, rules, etc. Things that are of local interest only should go in the regional forums below. High schoolers wanting to chat should go to the High School Lounge.

Moderators: Robert schmitt, Russ

CAhighvaultage
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter, Aspiring College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 11'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Bjorn Otto

How high as a sophomore in high school?

Unread postby CAhighvaultage » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:00 pm

I really want to vault at the U and I've read that their standards for athletes are in the 15'-15'6" range. Right now I can clear 11 foot bungees every now and again while not even holding at the top of my pole (13'6" at the moment). I was wondering what I should aim for by the end of this year to try and reach 15'6" by the end of senior year? I was thinking 12'6" or 13'?
Lefty vaulters...yes...we are special.

Manche führen...manche folgen...ich führen.

PV2020
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Lázaro Borges

Re: How high as a sophomore in high school?

Unread postby PV2020 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:10 pm

CAhighvaultage wrote:I really want to vault at the U and I've read that their standards for athletes are in the 15'-15'6" range. Right now I can clear 11 foot bungees every now and again while not even holding at the top of my pole (13'6" at the moment). I was wondering what I should aim for by the end of this year to try and reach 15'6" by the end of senior year? I was thinking 12'6" or 13'?

I assume you mean Miami?

This past year they did not have any pole vaulters. But they are in the ACC. So if they have any standard, it is probably that you are able to come in and score in the ACC with very little coaching, because if they do not currently have pole vaulters, they probably do not have a designated pole vault coach.

But Miami is not really known for having the worlds greatest track team, let alone pole vault in the past year. So unless you just really like that school, and get a massive academic scholarship (It is really expensive to go there), the odds of you going there to pole vault is fairly low.

But if the goal is 15'-15'6 as a senior you should probably be able to jump 12 or more with coaching. Most people get big PRs in their Junior or Senior year thanks to puberty, so the improvement curve is different for everyone.

vcpvcoach
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach, Parent

Unread postby vcpvcoach » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:44 pm

Like most high schoolers, you are looking for the wrong result. It's not important what height but being able to jump over your grip on the shortest pole you have. Simply, work on your technique until you can vault above your grip. Run, plant, take-off, and swing.

I have been working with a freshman boy this last year. He came to me having vaulted two years in middle school with a pr of 9'6". We started him on a 11' pole until he could clear a bar at 10' 4". The box depth is 8" so 10'4" plus 8" is 11". At that point, I move him to a 12' pole which was the next series of poles that we owned. He vault on these poles until he cleared 11'4" then I moved to a 12'6" pole. At the end of the season, he cleared 12'.

All this being said, your on your grades. Pole vaulting scholarships are rare. Academic scholarships more plentiful.

Good luck.

CAhighvaultage
PV Beginner
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter, Aspiring College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Bjorn Otto

Unread postby CAhighvaultage » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:04 am

PV2020 wrote:
CAhighvaultage wrote:I really want to vault at the U and I've read that their standards for athletes are in the 15'-15'6" range. Right now I can clear 11 foot bungees every now and again while not even holding at the top of my pole (13'6" at the moment). I was wondering what I should aim for by the end of this year to try and reach 15'6" by the end of senior year? I was thinking 12'6" or 13'?

I assume you mean Miami?

This past year they did not have any pole vaulters. But they are in the ACC. So if they have any standard, it is probably that you are able to come in and score in the ACC with very little coaching, because if they do not currently have pole vaulters, they probably do not have a designated pole vault coach.

But Miami is not really known for having the worlds greatest track team, let alone pole vault in the past year. So unless you just really like that school, and get a massive academic scholarship (It is really expensive to go there), the odds of you going there to pole vault is fairly low.

But if the goal is 15'-15'6 as a senior you should probably be able to jump 12 or more with coaching. Most people get big PRs in their Junior or Senior year thanks to puberty, so the improvement curve is different for everyone.

Yes, that's the next question I had. I've looked at their roster for the past couple of years and haven't been able to find any vaulters...so do they just not want to compete in the vault or have they just not had any vaulters?
Lefty vaulters...yes...we are special.

Manche führen...manche folgen...ich führen.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:10 pm

Usually no vaulters on the roster means the school is not supporting the event. I would suggest expanding your list of potential schools if you want to pole vault in college.

ttpm15
PV Beginner
Favorite Vaulter: Brad Walker

Unread postby ttpm15 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 12:05 am

My PR is 11 feet my sophomore year ( last year ) holding around 11 on a pole thats 20 lbs over my body weight.
Looking to go 14 feet this year ( junior ) and 15-16 ft my senior year.

Return to “Pole Vault - High School”