Top Ten Vaulters of All Time

A forum to discuss pole vaulting related things of a historical nature.
Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Re: Top Ten Vaulters of All Time

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:37 pm

achtungpv wrote:
Soar Like an Eagle wrote:Do not forget about Steve Smith first man over 18 feet indoors and 18’5" in pro track and was the best pole vaulter in the world from 1973-1975 but because he was in pro track I do not think he reached his full potential at the time. In 1972 he made 18'0" gripping 14'10'".

If I'm not mistaken, he also jumped 17' off of a skateboard. There was a pic of it in one edition of the Mechanics of the Pole Vault.

Steve did jump 17'0" on a skateboard and Charlie Brown (former Jr college record holder 17'4", 1977) jumped 15"6" the same day. Steve ran the 100 yard dash in 9.7 in flats in the Superstars competition in 1975 or 1976.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:48 pm

Soar Like an Eagle wrote:
achtungpv wrote:
Soar Like an Eagle wrote:Do not forget about Steve Smith first man over 18 feet indoors and 18’5" in pro track and was the best pole vaulter in the world from 1973-1975 but because he was in pro track I do not think he reached his full potential at the time. In 1972 he made 18'0" gripping 14'10'".

If I'm not mistaken, he also jumped 17' off of a skateboard. There was a pic of it in one edition of the Mechanics of the Pole Vault.

Steve did jump 17'0" on a skateboard and Charlie Brown (former Jr college record holder 17'4", 1977) jumped 15"6" the same day. Steve ran the 100 yard dash in 9.7 in flats in the Superstars competition in 1975 or 1976.

Does video exist of this 17' skateboard vault? :eek:

SlickVT
PV Follower
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Post-Collegiate Vaulter, College Coach, High School Coach

Unread postby SlickVT » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:11 pm

I second that Billy Olson should be up there.
He is the last person to hold an indoor world record before Bubka took it away.
He had a SWEET looking vault and an amazingly powerful approach run.

Put Olson on the list!
Vertical Technique Pole Vault Club
Blacksburg, Virginia
verticaltechnique.com

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:20 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:

Ask Jan, if anyone does it'd be him. I vaguely remember him being in one of the pics. Not sure if he carried the pole on the skateboard or someone held it in the box for him to grab onto.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

newPVer
PV Pro

Unread postby newPVer » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:09 pm

Someone should fabricate up a little point system. Every time they jumped and how high in comparison to the WR at the time. Give points for world championships, national titles, and olympic medals.

Like when Tim Mack won the 2004 Olympics, he would get lets say 100 points for that, plus 97 points for his 595 jump, because its right at 97% of the world record at the time. So who ever jumps a world record gets 100 points for that day, plus extra if its at a big meet. I know I dont have the time or information to make something this grand, but it would be a way to decide who really is the best, other than Bubka of course...
PR- 15-1
Great season, time to top it

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:06 pm

thats a good idea, but its difficult to judge someone like hartwig who has jumped 19'+ over 100 times, correct? The longer you are in it, the more points you would have. It should be relative to the time you spend as a professional.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Tue Dec 25, 2007 4:17 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
Soar Like an Eagle wrote:
achtungpv wrote:

I do not think there is a video of his jumps. He carried the pole like was running, had a double leg swing and the skateboard was 4 feet long with big wheels (3 inches). There is a picture of him in Mechanics of the Pole Vault on the skateboard. Also, he was on a game show trying to jump over a semi truck back in 1978 or 1979. If I recall, it was like a truth or dare chance game show.

I agree about Billy, he was awesome and great for the pole vault in the 80s.

Return to “Pole Vault - Historical”