Good Trampoline Drills

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
Flyyfisher
PV Newbie

Good Trampoline Drills

Unread postby Flyyfisher » Sun Apr 15, 2007 4:29 pm

I am curious as to what some good trampoline drills would be. Can anyone explain some? Are there any sites with photos or videos out there? Thanks.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:44 pm

You could always invent some if you can't find any. I don't know of any sites that feature drills like that, but you could think some up, I'm sure. Just think about how jumping on a trampoline relates to vaulting, then go grab a stubby and get creative!

(Maybe you could come up with a good follow-through drill...hmmmmm...)

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower
Expertise: Current college decathlete
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:50 pm

ok i saw this on a video that don hood showed us, what you do is you have two people holding a rope behind you and you start jumping up and down, when you get to your maximum hight you land on your back and bounce back up while going into a back roll and go over the rope, just as if you were going over a bar. I dont know if you will understand. I would show you, but our trampoline got blown into a barbed wire fence and got all torn up :crying:
"Bravery is the ability to get the job done when you are scared to death."

theczar
PV Follower
Expertise: Coach/Former College Athlete
Lifetime Best: 17'1"

Unread postby theczar » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:59 pm

txpolevaulter_k25 wrote:ok i saw this on a video that don hood showed us, what you do is you have two people holding a rope behind you and you start jumping up and down, when you get to your maximum hight you land on your back and bounce back up while going into a back roll and go over the rope, just as if you were going over a bar. I dont know if you will understand. I would show you, but our trampoline got blown into a barbed wire fence and got all torn up :crying:

whenever I bounce at my max height I hit the ground :(

but anyway...I know that just jumping on a trampoline for an extended time works wonders on your legs, and also some obscure lower back, oblique, and lower ab muscles. There is this one place in St. Louis ( http://www.skymaniafuncenters.com/index.html ) that is wall-to-wall trampolines and even angled trampolines on the walls! I went there once for a 1 hr session, and not only was I completely beat, I lost a ton of water weight from sweat, and it was a total body workout. I'm pretty sure it made my legs more powerful, and the next day my body was sore in some pretty strange places. All that jumping worked muscle groups that aren't usually used that much. I have a trampoline in my back yard, and use it often for fun, but I've never got as much of a workout as I did there. Oh, and did I mention it was extremely fun!

txpolevaulter_k25
PV Follower
Expertise: Current college decathlete
Lifetime Best: 15'

Unread postby txpolevaulter_k25 » Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:21 pm

theczar wrote:
txpolevaulter_k25 wrote:ok i saw this on a video that don hood showed us, what you do is you have two people holding a rope behind you and you start jumping up and down, when you get to your maximum hight you land on your back and bounce back up while going into a back roll and go over the rope, just as if you were going over a bar. I dont know if you will understand. I would show you, but our trampoline got blown into a barbed wire fence and got all torn up :crying:

whenever I bounce at my max height I hit the ground :(

no on the trampoline, it doesn't hurt
"Bravery is the ability to get the job done when you are scared to death."

g00eY
PV Nerd
Expertise: Current High School Vaulter

Unread postby g00eY » Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:30 pm

That skymania place looks amazing. I really really want to go there now.
PR - 13'0"

colby41
PV Fan

Unread postby colby41 » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:32 am

yeaa, that place looks awesome.. image what u could do with PV drills at a place like that. BUILd one in oregon please...
"Live Fierce, Live Free"

vault3rb0y
PV Rock Star
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 5.14m

Unread postby vault3rb0y » Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:22 pm

That place looks like so much fun. The only thing that could make it better would be letting kids bring paintball guns onto it, and having a war in a place like that lol.
The greater the challenge, the more glorious the triumph

spike gibeault
PV Pro

Unread postby spike gibeault » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:04 am

That trampoline gym isnt that good. Many people dont know much about professional trampolines. Euro tramps have white beds (the part that you jump on) and you can jump 20'+ easily, i started compettition trampolining when i was 6 and i sort-of stopped and i went back last night and i worked on some pole vault drills. i just went down to new jersey to go to a different trampoline gym, its a great sport to get into and there is so much you can do to help pole vaulting. And txpolevaulter, that drill you said, its great, ive been doing it for aobut 4 years jumping for height, and then i started pole vaulting and realised how much it helped. but besides that, check out the gym! http://www.trampolineplace.com[/url]

colby41
PV Fan

Unread postby colby41 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:00 pm

are u saying that just jumping for height on a trampoline would help your take off? Wow i never would have thought of that. I have a real low takeoff so do you think this kind of activity would be worth my time?
"Live Fierce, Live Free"

spike gibeault
PV Pro

Unread postby spike gibeault » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:34 pm

the jumping aspect helps a lot, because thats basically what you do...jump, and i never used to jump at takeoff, until i was told to, and if you land on your back and kick out over your head and do a back flip its great for getting in deep rockbacks and kicking out of them, not to mention its a blast

colby41
PV Fan

Unread postby colby41 » Thu Sep 27, 2007 6:58 pm

haha yea. We got a tramp at our school, so maybe we'll try. I wonder how old it is...
"Live Fierce, Live Free"

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”