"Motorcycle pole vault"

A forum to discuss anything that does not have to do with pole vaulting.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

"Motorcycle pole vault"

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:23 pm

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/200 ... /107270087

Carson City trio in X Games

Appeal Staff Report
July 27, 2007

Comments (0) Print Email

Carson City's trio of Moto X riders will look to equal their success from last year's Summer X Games when Summer X Games 13 takes place next week.

Matt Buyten, Adam Jones and Mike Mason will all look to win medals again when the X Games are held August 2-5 in Los Angeles.

Buyten will look to defend his title in the Step Up event. Step Up can be best described as the equivalent of a motorcycle pole vault as competitors try to clear a bar as high as possible. Competitors can clear a bar as high as 30 feet.

While Buyten is a two-time X Games champion (2003, 2006) he may be best remembered for his duel with Jeremy McGrath in 2004. McGrath and Buyten had several jump offs to try to break the title during a competition in which Buyten's shoulder popped out twice.

McGrath eventually beat out Buyten for the gold. Buyten also won silver in Step Up in 2005.

Jones and Mason will look to equal their success from last year in the Moto X freestyle, a competition in which riders do a series of tricks over a motocross style course. Jones and Mason were the surprises of last year's competition with Jones taking silver and Mason taking bronze. Jones also took bronze in freestyle in the 2004 X Games.

The Step Up competition will be televised at 6 p.m. August 3 on ESPN. The freestyle elimination round will be televised at 4 p.m. August 4 on ESPN 2 and the finals will be televised at 6 on ESPN. For more information, go to www.expn.com.

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:30 pm

Definitely not something I would try... On second thought, that might be one of those good party games... :yes:
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:04 pm

i watch this every year its great
pain is only temporary victory is forever

powerplant42
PV Rock Star

Unread postby powerplant42 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 9:50 am

OOOOH! That's the STEP UP! I definitely thought they actually had a pole! Oh yeah, I watched that last night, it was great! Somebody almost landed on one of the camera men...
"I run and jump, and then it's arrrrrgh!" -Bubka

spike gibeault
PV Pro

Unread postby spike gibeault » Wed Jan 23, 2008 11:08 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_gkCZSXRHo

winning height 33ft (if it were a bungee i could have pole vaulted that!)
"My biggest fear is my lack of fear."-Mat Hoffman

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Unread postby VaultPurple » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:54 pm

when u think of it...its pretty bad that they got a motor and only go about 10ft highter than a pole vaulter....

FriarPV
PV Nerd

Unread postby FriarPV » Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:21 pm

VaultPurple wrote:when u think of it...its pretty bad that they got a motor and only go about 10ft highter than a pole vaulter....

The bar is no where near 30' above where the bike leaves the ground.
They measure from the base of the hillthat they jump off of.

http://expn.go.com/media/expn/2007/xmex ... xbuy_v.jpg

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Re: "Motorcycle pole vault"

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:36 pm

TUNE IN TONIGHT AT 9PM ON ESPN2

UCS Inc. helps take “pole vaulting on motorcycles” to new heights with innovative and more accurate standards.

What do Ricky Carmichael and Sergey Bubka have in common?...

Los Angeles, CA, July 30, 2009:

Tonight at 9 PM EDT on ESPN 2, the Moto X Step Up Event will enjoy a “step up” in equipment, thanks to a creative design and engineering adaptation by UCS Inc., one of the world’s premier track and field equipment suppliers. UCS, which has created and supplied the pole vault standards and crossbars that were used in four Olympic Games and the NCAA Indoor and Outdoor Championships, was challenged to use its proprietary technology to create standards that were stable enough to hold the bar for men and their bikes at heights that are more than twice as high as Sergey Bubka’s pole vault world record of 6.14 meters (20’2”).

For the Step Up Standards, UCS used a special aluminum-alloy. Each standard weighs nearly 400 lbs. each rests flat on the ground beside both sides of the dirt hill. For increased accuracy and easier resetting by the officials, the crossbar holes were precision-machined into the sides of the standards in six-inch increments.

DONT FORGET 9PM ONLY ON ESPN 2

VaultPurple
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach, Pole Vault Addict
Favorite Vaulter: Greg Duplantis

Re: "Motorcycle pole vault"

Unread postby VaultPurple » Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:42 am

34 foot won tonight.

They said that they accualy measure from the ground, not the top of the ramp, because sometimes people land in flat and thats how far they fall.

So with 34 foot and a 12 foot ramp thats like technicaly 22' over the "Box" or last part where bike has traction.

So the winner only had Bubka by a foot or two and top pole vaulters accualy beat some of the guys that went out early. (opening height was 27, aka 15 foot)

I saw an article on the new standards and they said they were suposed to be able to move them foward and backwards like in the vault but I never saw anyone do it or mention it on TV. I bet if the riders moved them then they could have jumped a lot higher though.

Return to “General”