Great team/comeback stories

A forum to discuss anything that does not have to do with pole vaulting.
ACvault
PV Pro
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Great team/comeback stories

Unread postby ACvault » Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:12 pm

I was wondering if anyone here had any stories to share about their track team in terms of comebacks or really great moments like championships.

I'll start with mine.

Last year (my sophomore year of high school) my team pulled out an OK indoor season, we were consistently the #4 team in the state but we were behind the three best teams in our state who are also in our conference (private school, MIAA, separate league from public schools). So we finish the indoor season as the #4 team in the state behind the three teams. Our outdoor season starts and we have our dual meets. We lose the first three dual meets to the three teams who are ahead of us but we are still #4 in the state because these team were the top 3. We win the rest of the dual meets and one day while we are getting ready for the championship meet our coach says he has figured it all out and "on paper, we have the winning team and we will win the championship." He says this everyday leading up to the championship and we're still having trouble believing him.

We get to the championship meet which is done in a three day period and more and more we start to realize we can pull it off. On the last day, late in the afternoon, before the meet is even over, we learn we have the meet won. But before I tell you what happened after we won, there is some background needed.

First, we had never in the history of our school's track program won the championship meet, only many many dual meet championships. Second, one of our throwers father died early in the outdoor season. Third, there was a distance runner on our team who had been battling with cancer for the past year (he recovered and is now running again). Finally, all the coaches in the league had decided to rename the championship trophy after my coach.

So we all go down to the infield to listen for the final results, when they bring over the trophy, we all pass it around, do the pictures, etc. The winning team usually does a victory lap. So we hand the trophy to the runner who had recovered from cancer and my coach says, "lead the lap."
My coach was later quoted in several articles as saying it was "something out of a disney movie."

Every headline in the paper about the meet talked about how we leapfrogged the top three teams in the state to be #1.

Link to article on league website
http://www.miaasports.com/sports/track/ ... SE_ID=2244

tigervaulter727
PV Whiz

Re: Great team/comeback stories

Unread postby tigervaulter727 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:33 pm

ACvault wrote:I was wondering if anyone here had any stories to share about their track team in terms of comebacks or really great moments like championships.

I'll start with mine.
[....]
Every headline in the paper about the meet talked about how we leapfrogged the top three teams in the state to be #1.

Link to article on league website
http://www.miaasports.com/sports/track/ ... SE_ID=2244

That's a great story! You guys should be proud!

Our volleyball team won state, with pink ribbons as laces in their shoes, because their coach had battled breast cancer at the beginning of the season. missing only 3 practices!
she's awesome, and now our track coach as well!

Return to “General”