Did anyone catch the MISSOURI STATE TRACK MEET?

A forum to discuss pole vaulting or anything else relating to Missouri, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas, Nebraska, Wyoming, South Dakota, and North Dakota

Moderators: rainbowgirl28, Decamouse

HowellVaulter
PV Newbie

Did anyone catch the MISSOURI STATE TRACK MEET?

Unread postby HowellVaulter » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:04 am

can you believe it, 14 feet won the meet. What happened to travis? and where was Will? He could have taken first!!! And awww man, albert should have DEFINATELY gotten first! lol that Jackson guy was a BEAST!
Run fast, jump high. What more is there to say?
- Tim

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

wow that is amazing

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Mon Jun 02, 2003 9:32 am

IN 1969 13'6" placed in the MO state meet.
One year Raytown SOuth had 4 16'+ vaulters and you wer eonly allowed to take three vaulters to state. When the three went I think in 1977 Raysouth took 1 2 3 and 4th was 14' so the vaulter who was left behind could of placed.

In 1987? OAk park HS had two vaulters one 16'8" and one 16'
I remember several other vaulters from MO that jumped high in HS.

Tell us more of what happened?
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

HowellVaulter
PV Newbie

also

Unread postby HowellVaulter » Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:24 am

Missouri has had a limited amount of 16' vaulters win State.
1980- John Fewell or Rock Bridge vaulted 16'
1982- Mike Shafe of Lee's Summit jumped 16'0.75"
1984- Cam Miller of Raytown South vaulted 16'3" as a Jr and didn't get in the 16's his Senor year at state.
1991- Kelly Stump of Rock Dridge vaulted 16'1"
And In 2000, Phillip Brown of Poplar Bluff vaulted 16'4.25"

And those are all of Missouri's 16' State winners.
Run fast, jump high. What more is there to say?

- Tim

vaultfan

Will Drover

Unread postby vaultfan » Mon Jun 02, 2003 11:50 am

From the “Lake Sun Leaderâ€Â

Aviendha
PV Pro
Expertise: Current Collegiate Vaulter

another howell person! ^_^

Unread postby Aviendha » Tue Jun 03, 2003 8:02 pm

i'm at howell north...funny co-inkiedink...^_^...which howell are you at?
i don't remember what the winning heights were, but i know 13 feet was eighth...you know any places lower than that? i want to know where garrett ranked..he should be close to 8th...he got 13-6 at sects...i was surprised at 14 too...i was expecting 15 from that one jeff city guy..sry i don't know names -_-...i don't pay attention to that lol...i don't really know who else was there...*sigh* i didn't get to go...our district has got to be the hardest (at least for girls) to qualify in...i got 5TH at dist.!!! grr...i was so upset...hey what did you think of the freshman girl from jeff city that cleared 11? UNBELIEVABLE...to win state as a freshman...*shakes head*
~Why does everyone prefer those who lie and make themselves less than they are, rather than those who embrace who they are, rejoice in it, and refuse to pretend anything less?

natdog
PV Wannabe

Unread postby natdog » Wed Jun 04, 2003 12:34 am

Friday for the 4a meet the conditions were nice, but no one jumped very well for some reason? Will Drover pulled hamstring 2 days prior to meet, would have won easily.
Saturday for the 3a meet conditions were cold and cross windy.
Jacob Simmons and Natalee Allen, both from Excelsior Springs won the boys and girls division. Both jumped well considering conditions and had the bars raised significantly after their wins, with very close attempts.
run high and hold fast

1yeldud1
PV Pro

missouri t/f state meet

Unread postby 1yeldud1 » Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:24 am

At the state meet in Jeff City this year a FRESHMAN from Monroe City Mo. (Brian Hancock) won class 2A this year in pole vault with a jump of 13 feet. Talk about having a great year.

willrieffer
PV Whiz
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 15'
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: All of them...

Re: Did anyone catch the MISSOURI STATE TRACK MEET?

Unread postby willrieffer » Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:37 pm

In 1982 and 1983 I participated in Raytown Souths pole vault camp. Rick Attig recruited me from the state meet where I jumped 12"6" as a soph for DeSoto...and off the wrong foot!

One year I gave Jeff Hartwig a ride home from camp. He was maybe a freshman and he cleared 9'6" or something. Not bad for a kid who at the time could barely walk and gum at the same time! Really, he is as good an example of perseverance as there is in the sport. Anyway, about Raytown South...

They actually had 5 15'6" or better vaulters in that time frame. Rules at the time allowed 4 entries to districts if the competitors met a standard which they all did. It was maybe 13'6" or something. Still, one guy had to stay home who vaulted 15'6"! At state, they placed 1 through 4, and with I think a long/triple jumper and maybe a high jumper who placed, Raytown South won the state track title.

Missouri was a hotbed at the time because of Attig at Raytown South, and then Arkansas State being close as well. I believe that in 86 or so 8 of the top ten NCAA vaulters were all from Missouri. Fewell, Shafe, Lane Lohr, and some guys I'm not gonna remember off the top of my head.

It was tough all over. The St. Louis district I was in wound up having 4 14' vaulters. I vaulted 15' for the district title, held at Oakville, but where we vaulted at Lindbergh because the fiberglass box at Oakville had a hole in it when we got there! Took 6th at state, blowing through my only big pole. I tried to barrow from Attig, but he didn't see me and I gave up too easy. I had cleared 15' 6" at his camp by a good foot and then he put me on the 13th pole of the day where I had to bail and twisted my ankle. I also famously crashed bad in the box at that camp the year before. Rocked back into too big a pole and bailed very short and very late. Had so much energy that me and the pole flew in the air. Tried to stick the plug end and climb down but the plug end was now out of the box and several feet back up the runway and when I tried to use it it just slid up away the runway and I fell back flat in the box and was knocked out. Que ambulance, neck collar and back brace, and a hospital stay. Thought I had broken my collar bone and scapula, but no, just the concussion.

vaultdad
PV Whiz
Expertise: An Official
Favorite Vaulter: Jillian Schwartz!

Re: Did anyone catch the MISSOURI STATE TRACK MEET?

Unread postby vaultdad » Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:25 pm

Go 2003!
It was a great year for many! T.O.L.A.T.P.P.
Vaulting Incognito "I saw those tubes on your truck, and I thought you were a plumber . . ."

Return to “North and Central Regions”