HUGE Line Up at Modesto

News about Elite US pole vaulters and elite competitions that occur on US soil.

Moderators: achtungpv, vaultmd

vaultguru6
PV Pro

HUGE Line Up at Modesto

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Tue May 06, 2003 12:31 am

Modesto Relays is gonna hold what is probably going to be one of the best international vault competitions ever on American Soil....and i'm gonna be lucky enough to see it.

The Men's Field Includes:

Jeff Hartwig: 19'9" USA
Tim Lobinger: 19'8" GER
Tye Harvey: 19'5" USA
Lars Börgeling: 19'2" GER
Derek Miles: 19'1" USA
Piotr Bucarski: 18'10" DEN
Scott Slover: 18'9" USA

and maybe throw T Mac, Walker, Stevenson, Buller, Hysong or others into the mix? It's gonna be a fun meet. The official line up comes out on tues. Hopefully Mr. Stabhochsprung will be on scene filming for all of you unfortunate enough to miss it :P .

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Tue May 06, 2003 1:34 am

soundsn like a sweet a** comp
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

zack

Unread postby zack » Sun May 11, 2003 1:19 am

So what happened with Miles, Hartwig, and Harvey? They just have bad days?

tim hutzley
PV Pro

Unread postby tim hutzley » Sun May 11, 2003 1:29 am

when is the meet going to be? or has it already happened?

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Sun May 11, 2003 4:29 am

Already happened....not quite what i was hoping for.

In the open, Tim Mack jump 5.70 and took some big shots at 19 after sitting around for 30 minutes imbetween heights while they had the opening ceremonies of the meet :no: .

In the Invite, Hartwig pulled the big NH at 17 10. None of his jumps looked very good either. Same thing with Harvey. Miles opened at 5.55 and was looking ok, but never got one clean also resulting in the NH. Lars, who is even bigger and more studly in person than the stabhochsprung videos blew up 17'10" but then just couldn't line it up at 5.55. Lobinger opened at 5.45 and made it on a third. Toby opened at 5.55 at had big clearance. Went on to clear 5.65. Bar went to 5.75 with only Toby and Lobinger. Toby looked good with his hip height as usual but couldn't pull the rest of his body over. Lobinger barely squeaked it out on a third. He then put the bar up to 5.85, went up poles, taught the ignorant Americans how to clap s-l-o-w-l-y ;) , and baled out on his first. For his second the ignorant americans went back to the too fast too quick clap and he stopped his run halfway down and hung it up for the day.

On the whole, conditions were decent, no big wind but definately no head or side. The best part about the meet was getting out of the crappy northwest and getting some sun on this once bronze and beautiful skin for the first time this year :P .

http://www.modestorelays.org/03%20results.htm
Last edited by vaultguru6 on Sun May 11, 2003 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Sun May 11, 2003 8:54 am

What about the girls? I know Kellie is out there...

zack

Unread postby zack » Sun May 11, 2003 2:37 pm

Man you should have been in the Northwest yesterday. It was beautiful. I swear it must have been 70 at UW.

Return to “Pole Vault - USA Elite”