shortened hand grip

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

fong520
PV Pro

shortened hand grip

Unread postby fong520 » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:21 pm

ok so im a sr and my pr is 13'4 holding at the top of a 14' 160 spirit. i weigh like 135 now. ive been jumping the last 4 years with my handgrip at around my whole arms length. ive read that with a shortened hand grip will help your swing and get you to verticle faster. which i have a problem with heh. so the other day i got on a smaller pole a 14' 145 holding maybe like 12'9 or so with like and elbow+fist grip. but everytime i jump i feel real weird. my jump completely changes too. i always feel like im in or soemthing. anyone got any tips on how to sucessfully change my grip?. ill put soem vids up next time i vault.
i run, therefore im buff.

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:50 pm

i use what you described, the top hand on pole and then my other hand fully extended to my elbow is where my bottum hand is at, its works good for me, just experiment and see what works for you, but too wide is not good, just as too close!
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:26 am

with a norrower grip the timing of your pole drop has to be much better. If you feel in you may be lowering you pole too soon and leaning back and taking long strides to delay the pole drop slightly. It's hard to say with out seeing a vault. A few years ago I narrrowed my grip from 25" to a forarm 13"-14" I can swing much better and vault better but it's harder to control the pole carry and drop with the narrower grip when your used to compensating for bad carry and drop technique with a wide grip.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:54 pm

In both Jan Johnson's course and in BTB they always talk about "fingers"or "fists". Rather than narrowing your grip by say a foot, work your way down 2 fingers or a fist at a time. Agapit says in his 3-7 principle that you should be able to get "used to" each progression in 3 to 7 reps. So, narrow by 2 fingers go jump 3 times, if you're on great, if not, do it4 more times. Once you'e comfortable then narrow 2 more fingers and so on. Later...........Mike

JTred
PV Whiz

Unread postby JTred » Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:38 pm

I've found that if I'm having plant problems, I just need to start the plant earlier. Until I get to the point where it's too early and it messes with your run. I had plant problems today because I started running faster.

rizlab
PV Fan

Unread postby rizlab » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:29 am

25 inches!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! dam thats the width of a t.c imbetween ur arms. Indeed it makes carrying it easier but it makes swinging almost impossible. I carry a 15ft easily about 16-17 inches and thats because i have big arms. Doesnt the bend feel really weird when you have a huge grip
when i vault high enough, to hit jesus... ill be happy.

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:50 am

whats going to happen is ur run will be different idk y but it does i had to do the same thing my grip was at about 25 inches and i had to move it in to 18 inches it felt really weird at first like i wasnt going to get in but i got in fine on even my biggest poles and after a week of it it became natural so just keep on trying and it will work
pain is only temporary victory is forever

Tim McMichael
PV Master
Expertise: Current college and private coach. Former elite vaulter.

Unread postby Tim McMichael » Mon Apr 10, 2006 4:00 pm

Check out some vids of the great French vaulters. Galfione, Quinon, or Vigneron. Those guys had grips at least 26 inches wide and jumped high. I have no idea how.

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Mon Apr 10, 2006 6:56 pm

they could invert with it that wide and with it that wide could get on bigger poles its just amazing they could invert off of it tho
pain is only temporary victory is forever

Soar Like an Eagle
PV Whiz
Expertise: High School Coach, Fan,
Lifetime Best: 17'6"
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie, Steve Smith

Unread postby Soar Like an Eagle » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:03 pm

If you have a copy of Mechanics of the Pole Vault by book Dr. R.V. Ganslen, 1980, Olympic 9th Edition read about Thierry Vigneron the first pole vaulter over 19 feet in 1981. Not big, not fast, but incredible technique.

nitro wrote:they could invert with it that wide and with it that wide could get on bigger poles its just amazing they could invert off of it tho

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Mon Apr 10, 2006 10:07 pm

Soar Like an Eagle wrote:If you have a copy of Mechanics of the Pole Vault by book Dr. R.V. Ganslen, 1980, Olympic 9th Edition

I wish :deadrose:

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”