Need help deciding between two poles for competition TODAY

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

RCBvault
PV Newbie

Need help deciding between two poles for competition TODAY

Unread postby RCBvault » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:50 am

OK, here's the deal. I have two UCS Spirits, one is a 135lbs 13 foot and the other is a 135lbs 14 foot. I'm a Senior in High School and my PR is 12'. I'm 6ft tall and weigh anywhere from 132 to 135 depending on how much I eat that day, lol. I bought and used the 13ft during my Sophomore year, then my Junior year I bought and used the 14'. Now I'm having trouble getting up on the 14'. I could make it up and through a few times like a week and a half ago, but now I come up short every time. I know its the beginning of the season and my muscles aren't built up yet, but I am considering lower my hand grip (from the top) about 3 fingers and seeing how it goes. As for the 13ft, I was forced to use it in competition two days ago (because of the inability to jump on the 14ft) and I'm bending the snot out of it and getting more out of it than I've ever felt before. I did 11'6" and almost had 12' at the meet. But I have another meet today and I don't know what to do. I see how far I could push the 13ft or I could gamble on the 14ft. Please let me know soon, any help would be great. Thanx
Aww Yeah!!

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Mar 30, 2006 11:01 am

Start on the 13' pole, and when you blow through that, go to the 14' pole, but you have the grip the same height.

Same height does not mean holding the top of both! It means put the bottoms of the poles next to each other and move straight across.

So if you were gripping 12'6" on the 13' pole, start out at 12'6" on the 14' pole (yes 1'6" from the top). Don't raise your grip until you are landing deep in the pit.

RCBvault
PV Newbie

Unread postby RCBvault » Thu Mar 30, 2006 1:02 pm

Yah, I know what holding from the same height when changing poles means, I'm not the best, but I've been doing this for a while, lol, its just that I've capped both poles before and that's what I'm used to, anything else feels weird. So I'm guessing that you're agreeing with my option of using the 13' till I can't go any further and then switch to the 14' at a 13' grip.

PS- Thanks for taken the time to respond and give advice. I was desperate for a second opinion.
Aww Yeah!!

master
PV Lover
Expertise: Masters Vaulter, Volunteer HS Coach, Former College Vaulter
Lifetime Best: 4.36m

Unread postby master » Thu Mar 30, 2006 3:12 pm

RCBvault wrote:...using the 13' till I can't go any further and then switch to the 14' at a 13' grip.

I agree with rainbowgirl. Note she said stay on the 13' until you are overpowering it. If it is all the pole you can handle on that day, then so be it.

- master

RCBvault
PV Newbie

Unread postby RCBvault » Thu Mar 30, 2006 9:29 pm

Well, I'm bending it a whole lot, but I still got some push out of it that I've never gotten before on Tuesday, but I went to the meet today and did an embarassing 11' for 3rd place, when I know I can do better. I should have gotten second. The main reason for this, I believe, is because I was exhausted and sore from the meet on Tuesday. I had nothing left today. Now I have a big invitational tomorrow and still a big problem. I believe I can hit 12' on my 13' when I have the strength, but I doubt I can go any further on it. I think it will take my 14' to do any higher, but I don't have the speed to get up on it. I guess I'll go with a 13' hold on it for tomorrow, because I think that's the only way I can do better tomorrow, since I might still be too tired and sore to use good form. I may have to put everything I have into the run and hope for enough speed to penetrate.
Aww Yeah!!

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Sat Apr 01, 2006 10:20 am

maybe try to shorten ur runup to get more out of ur 13' pole?.
i run, therefore im buff.

RCBvault
PV Newbie

Unread postby RCBvault » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:12 am

yah, I'm just gonna use a 13' grip on my 14' and move up as I progress. Till then I'll just use the my 13' which is taking me up slow, but it gets the job done for now.
Aww Yeah!!

RCBvault
PV Newbie

Unread postby RCBvault » Mon Apr 03, 2006 9:53 pm

I tried today to jump on my 14' with a 13' grip, but I felt kinda off on my steps. Possibly just the extra bit of weight is slowing me down or maybe it's just a mental block. I was at a meet last Friday and I tried to jump again on the 14'. The judge said my mid point was on, so maybe I have the speed now, but a mental block is keeping me from taking the jump.
Aww Yeah!!

METAL MAN
PV Newbie

Unread postby METAL MAN » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:00 pm

Sounds like you need a tweener pole or two. Try to beg, borrow or buy a 13 that is 5lbs stiffer than the one you are using and a 13-6 that is weight rated the same as the 13 you are currently using. If you can fit a few more in there so you have a series of poles with a good flex range relationship all the better. Budget is an issue in most cases so there are a couple of other tricks to consider. Have your coach time your run from the mid step to the plant step and then move back a left and do the same thing. If you drop a few hundrenths in your mid to plant time running from one more left back then try the 14 from there but start with the same handhold as the 13 and move up two fingers at a time untill you find that "critical mass" lol hand hold point. If you are crushing the 13 and don't want to drop your handhold come up a left. Also, be willing to make these adjustments during competition. Most developing vaulters actually jump better and higher using lower hand holds while focusing on technique.

Good luck

pvu-hooligan
PV Wannabe

Unread postby pvu-hooligan » Tue Apr 04, 2006 9:28 pm

great advice metal man! im in a situation like this too. only im going from a 12 140 that im bending too much to a 13'1 132. ill def. try this out.
Last edited by pvu-hooligan on Wed Apr 05, 2006 10:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RCBvault
PV Newbie

Unread postby RCBvault » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:13 pm

thnx for the advice metal man, I'll give that a shot.
Aww Yeah!!

METAL MAN
PV Newbie

Unread postby METAL MAN » Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:36 pm

Oceanside........cool, I have family in Fallbrook. My guess is that you will be off that new 13-1 and on a stiffer pole sooner that you think.

Good Luck

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”