ouch

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
tikrapt
PV Wannabe

ouch

Unread postby tikrapt » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:18 pm

over the last week i've noticed a pain in my lower abdomin that continues to get worse... today to the point where it hurt to get my feet above my waist. obviously its difficult to vault like this. i have no clue whats wrong but the word hernia is being tossed around. im going to have my school trainer take a look at it tomorrow but is it possible its a hernia? theres no bump or mark or anything and its just below my bottom right abdomen. any thoughts?? please tell me its just something small thats going to go away.. thanks

nitro
PV Master

Unread postby nitro » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:29 pm

well what i know about school trainers they really dont know that much so id go to a trusted dr. just to make sure
pain is only temporary victory is forever

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:56 pm

If it is a hernia, the trainers will have no problem with letting you know what is going on....but on the same note, athletic Trainers can not diagnoise it....they will most likely send you to an MD if they think it is serious.
Man Up and Jump

Vault&Flip
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach

Unread postby Vault&Flip » Sun Apr 02, 2006 8:26 pm

I just got back from double hernia surgery that I had over the winter break. You will not always have any kind of protrusion from the abdomen with a hernia. In fact, I had one on the left and right side, even though only the right side was painful. Be careful with lower abdominal pain because it can be tricky to diagnose. Be sure to see a doctor ASAP.

tikrapt
PV Wannabe

Unread postby tikrapt » Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:08 pm

will a trainer be able to tell anything if there isnt anything hanging out? and if this has been going for a week or two then its probably a hernia? this would be one of those things that couldnt wait until after the season huh? what kind of time frames are there?? surgery then what? could this be the end of my pole vaulting career?

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 11:41 pm

if it is a hernia, it could depend on length of time that you are out and how necessary an immidiate surgery is, but unless there are complications, you won't be out of pole vaulting.
Man Up and Jump

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:07 am

maybe u pulled ur ab muscle? can u do that?. i remember i hurt my lower ab awhile ago and it hurt all teh same adn i just rested for a couple of weeks and it still hurt at first but it got better. this was after doing a bazillion ab excercises after not doing any for awhile heh
i run, therefore im buff.

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”