building muscle ectomorph

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
rizlab
PV Fan

building muscle ectomorph

Unread postby rizlab » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:00 am

hey im wondering what variations of exercises i should do as like an "ectomorph" as the definition is. I follow the same routine of exercises as my mate tom, and hes about 5ft 9 and im about 6ft3-4. He's put on a lot of bulk lately and has excelled where as im trailing behind. The things that cheeses me right off is i play all this sport outside vaulting; rugby,hockey,football,water polo as well as vaulting, and im still as crap as a was before. Obviously my vaulting has progressed, due to technique more than anything, and i dont want to turn into a b**** match on my buddy, but i cant help but wonder why(????) could anyone give me some advice???? thnx riz
when i vault high enough, to hit jesus... ill be happy.

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:20 pm

well maybe ur friend is just lifting and not doing as many other things and just concentrating on that. and diet is a huge factor of everything too..
i run, therefore im buff.

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:37 pm

what is ectomorph?

rizlab
PV Fan

Unread postby rizlab » Sun Mar 19, 2006 2:51 pm

ectomorph is when your tall and thin, mesomorph is when your kinda average side but lean in build.

Marengo139
PV Beginner

Unread postby Marengo139 » Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Make sure you are eating more than usual and taking a multivitamin and maybe some protien. Make sure if your trying to bulk you try to get at least 1g of protien per pound of bodyweight You should see more muscle start to build

PaulVaulter
PV Nerd

Unread postby PaulVaulter » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:06 am

Why do you want to get bigger?

Surely if you are getting stronger (which I assume you are if you are training properly) and not getting bigger then thats the best thing that could happen for your strength-to-weight ratio, the most important factor related to vaulting?
Aim high, then at least if you miss you won't shoot yourself in the foot.

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:13 pm

What is your 100m /40yrd/ flying 30m times
how high are you currently jumping?
how much do you weigh?
How high are you holding on what weight/flex/length pole?

Give us answers to these questions and we can better help you jump higher.
An optimist is one who sees a light in darkness....a pessimist blows it out.

rizlab
PV Fan

Unread postby rizlab » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:03 pm

i run 100 in low 12's,high 11s (mayb 11.8-9) im currently jumping 4m 25 (14ft) gripping 13 ft (on a 14ft 160)baring in mind im practicing for outdoor. I weigh approx, 150 plbs and im set to jump on a 15'1 175, 180 outdoor and maybe by the end of the season on 16's (165-175 maybe) i hope this helps u, thnx u guys...riz

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:21 am

I assume you must be vaulting from a short run being 6'3" tall and fairly fast on only a 14' 160?

So at 6'3" and 150lbs I need to ask how old are you and did you just go through a growth spurt?

Is that gip hieght of 13' mean 13' with the pole planted in the box or are you holding a foot down from the top of the pole?

rizlab
PV Fan

Unread postby rizlab » Thu Mar 23, 2006 6:28 pm

I mean im gripping a foot down the 14ft sorry, i am 15 going on 16 in august, ive always been tall, im due for my second spurt i think? Im still growing in weenie bits though, and yes im on a short approach, 6-8 strides, just working on the tuck and rock back. As im tall my limbs are long and kinda gangley so ive been setting up ab and upper body circuits, but its progressing very slowly. does this help you? what other questions do i need to answer. thnx for being so patient with me lol. rys

Robert schmitt
PV Lover

Unread postby Robert schmitt » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:36 am

So is your friend making bigger gains in the vault or in the wieght room?

There are a lot of things to consider here. You are pretty darn tall for 15 years old. There are not a lot of 6'3" 15 year olds that can walk and chew gum at the same time. You have gone through so much growth in 3-4 years that your body's ability to control those long levers have not developed yet. That being said it sounds like you have developed a fair amount of co-ordination already judging from your 100m time and how you are jumping. Your friend hasn't gone through as much growth 5'9" and may be the type that can but on muscle by looking at a wieght. I was 6'0 as at 14 and wieghed about 150 graduated HS 6'1" 165 lifted I didn't start to develope a whole lot of speed until I was 17. As far as muscle I couldn't make any big gains until I was 21 and I really was able to get stronger when I was 28 where I got to 229lbs at 6'2". Your muscle maturity just problably is not going to be there for another couple years.

So the point is that yes maybe you could change somethings in your workout that may make a slight difference but probably the biggest factors are your body type and your muscle maturity.

You still have alot of room to jump better even from that grip and run. I would think at your age and hieght that your co-ordination has not caught up yet. As it does you are going to get quicker and more explosive. As stated by another poster as far as stregth goes you really want to be strong for your body wieght. Another good thing is as you mentioned is your vaulting has improve due mostly to technique. being strong can allow you to get away with some bad habits b/c you can muscle through it. In the long run you benifit from having to learn good tech. and in the next 3-4 years as your body matures you'll really be jumping high.

rizlab
PV Fan

Unread postby rizlab » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:15 pm

actually i think that sums it up really well, the real reason why i have massive explosion on my leap and run is because of years of playing rugby in the pack, so its been more of a case of "evolving." What you say is very true though, my legs have grown so much, so quickly, that one of my flaws is controlling my legs in the air lol, they are all over the shop! But seriously, that some encouraging words, i guess its back to the drawing board, and hopefully if i play my cards right, ill be seeing a few of you lot at the youth olympic festival :) thanx for given me the time,riz

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”