video critique

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

fong520
PV Pro

video critique

Unread postby fong520 » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:41 pm

well um i took some vids of me jumping yesterday. this is how i usually jump i guess. on sat and last thurs i heard i was jumping alot better. i guess i had to. but i dont want that to be a one time thing. anyways here are some vids of me jumping from tues.. i guess ill have more up tomorrow nite too.. i have states sat so any help/advice would be amazing. thanx guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61U68EHfeOU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6wLOgfbmuKk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r23WL1OqSQk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWA1ZmTB8XY

also. anyone know of a way i can get my vids onlien besides that?. the quality on that i think isnt too good adn its all real blurry. ?.
i run, therefore im buff.

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:52 pm

Dont land on your feet! lol
Just you wait...

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:57 pm

on the 2nd clip, your head is looking straight forward.. and its causing your shoulders to prop up isntead of drop, which isn't helping you get vertical one bit, if you can do that and pop your hips to get your body in line with the pole, you'll be in better shape to get over.

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:36 am

your run looks great and so does your plant and most of the inversion.......just slow your mind down at the top....you are all over at the top of your vault.....i am just like you in that respect.

your biggest problem seems to be that you are not dropping your chest and shoulders back when you are inverted....this is causing your feet to fall out at the bar rather than shoot up.
Man Up and Jump

europevaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby europevaulter » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:18 am

super take off!!! nice run
the 3th clib was the best. first 2 you had your head in the box making you drag the bottom too long. you rock back good, but too slow I think. your pole is going vertical and so your hand and shoulders have to follow. if you're hips are not higher at that moment, you're feet will drop.
with such a great take off you should move your top arm faster, so the hips come to your top hand faster. when the pole goes vertical, the hips follow the hands with the pole, which is going vertical (the way you should go ;)
nice jumping man!!
for love of the game!!!

JTred
PV Whiz

Unread postby JTred » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:52 pm

I can't help you with your techinique since you're much better than me, but if you're looking for a new place to host videos try www.putfile.com or if you have comcast you can use that.

princess
PV Wannabe

Unread postby princess » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:06 pm

Mecham wrote:Dont land on your feet! lol

That is what I was going to say, if someone hadn't said it already....
"You don't make bars by looking good"

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Thu Feb 23, 2006 7:57 pm

princess wrote:
Mecham wrote:Dont land on your feet! lol

That is what I was going to say, if someone hadn't said it already....
Great minds think alike eh? ;)
Just you wait...

vaultman18
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach, Former College Vaulter
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby vaultman18 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 8:57 pm

Your left arm never bends at any point in the vault so you can never get vertical. I don't personally like the tuck and shoot method. If you don't want to change that is up to you and your coach but I would. Meaning you should try to swing to vertical keeping a long straight take-off leg.

AVC Coach
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Current Coach (All levels)
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Miah Sanders

Unread postby AVC Coach » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:38 pm

You've got some wheels! The 3rd clip did look the best. Good point was made about your bottom arm pressing out the entire jump. That will keep you from making some high bars. Whatever you do, don't try changing any technique during a meet. That's what practice is for. Good luck at your state meet.

fong520
PV Pro

Unread postby fong520 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:51 pm

http://www.putfile.com/runfongvault
there are some more vids up from tonite. i know i land on my feet on alot and i have to learn how to stop that hah..
but anyways. thanx for comments. but a few questions on my part.
how do i drop my chest adn shoulders and get my hips higher?.
should i try to row my arms more and do more work? right now when i jumped today all i thought about was driving my knee really.
um wheni jumped my coach said i try to pull with my bottom arm sometimes and thats just like bringing my chest up and making the pole unbend from my bottom hand and not my top and so i cant get behind it?. so like how do i bend my bottom arm?.

theres also one of my coach vaulting heh.
i run, therefore im buff.

europevaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby europevaulter » Fri Feb 24, 2006 4:26 am

You have a sollid take off, but personnally I think it is a bit too sollid. meaning you drive the knee, but too long. that way you're on the bottom too long and you're missing valuable time at the end. the pole start unbending to soon for you (hips are not high enough) and so your feet drop. with a sollid take off like that you should ben moving the top arm much sooner and keep doing that till you hit your hips. by moving the top arm your hips will come up much sooner (and you'll even be able to jump on bigger poles). but keep taking off like that, be big, think big! :D
for love of the game!!!

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”