Anyone else have Patellar Tendonitis

A forum to discuss overall training techniques, nutrition, injuries, etc. Discussion of actual pole vault technique should go in the Technique forum.
JTred
PV Whiz

Anyone else have Patellar Tendonitis

Unread postby JTred » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:11 pm

Yeah, I've got patellar tendonitis and it only comes around suring track season. I was wondering if anyone else has it and how you deal with it. So far ibuprofen, ice, and ultrasound have helped a lot. I just got a a band that puts presure on that tendon as well, and I'm very hopeful with that. So, what's your suggestion?

saraf
PV Pro

Unread postby saraf » Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:01 pm

i JUST started getting it 2 or 3 weeks ago. Its not bad at all. I just work though it or don't do things that hurt my knee

Vault&Flip
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach

Unread postby Vault&Flip » Wed Jan 25, 2006 10:30 pm

just stay on top of it, and get treatment early if you can. The longer you let it continue the worse it will get, so try to knock it out ASAP.

MOOKA916
PV Newbie

Unread postby MOOKA916 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:41 pm

i used to get very bad patellar tendenitis- i do exactly what you do (with the ibuprophen, ice, and band) the band around the knee seems to help the most....so keep doing that and eventually it starts to go away

Barto
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby Barto » Fri Feb 24, 2006 9:54 am

Work on your takeoff mechanics. Mostly "jumpers knee" is caused by plantar flexing the toes and bracing the leg at takeoff.

Ice, Motrin, Cho-Pat are all good in this situation as well.

JMP8928
PV Pro

Unread postby JMP8928 » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:40 pm

PT sucks. try strengthening the muscles around the knee.... such as light leg extentions... i mean LIGHT! doing sets of 15 reps would be good. too much weight will put too much pressure on the pet. tenden

dtrack28
PV Beginner

hamstrings

Unread postby dtrack28 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:13 am

I'm not sure if this would be the same for PT, but whenever you do any other ligament damage to your knee (ACL, MCL, etc.) the doctor will always tell you to work hard on your hamstrings. Everyone is quad dominant, meaning the quad is stronger than the hamstring, but many people have too much strength in their quad compared to hamstring, leaving them vulnerable to knee injuries. Like I said, I don't know enough about PT, so if someone else could comment that would be great. But every time you squat/deadlift (leg extensions are pointless)...hit that leg curl machine just as hard or harder.

LHSpolevault
PV Master
Expertise: Post Collegiate Vaulter, High School Coach, Club Coach
Lifetime Best: 4.00
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillenie

Unread postby LHSpolevault » Fri Mar 10, 2006 10:53 am

strengthen your quads and hamstrings (leg presses and leg curls) ... stay away from the leg extensions while its causing you pain because they'll put WAYY too much stress on that area. i have PT right now and i usually just ice it and when i run or workout i wear one of those jumpers' knee straps, it helps relieve some of the pain.

later.

souleman
PV Lover
Lifetime Best: 12-7.5
Favorite Vaulter: Bob Seagren, Bob Richards

Unread postby souleman » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:35 pm

Some of that may be caused by hyperextending the leg at take off. What I did last year and it seemed to work pretty well was I'd make a 4 inch X 6 to 8 inch strip of athletic tape and tape it to the back of my leg right behind the knee. Then I'd "anchor" it above the knee and below the knee (not to tight) and it did a pretty god job of preventing the hyperextension. If you know someone with an ARP machine you can also zap your knee and work the "bad stuff" out and that will help. Kevin Hanson zapped mine last year and my PT hasn't acted up since. Try the tape thing when you're jumping it should help. Word of caution, if you have harry legs, shave those suckers where the tape will go. Nothin'hurts worse than pullin' hair when you're pullin' tape. Good luck....Mike

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:43 pm

i looked this topic up, and found that jumpers knee can occur, but i have a pain in the back of my knee, almost my hamstring/calf and i was wondering if anyone knew what this was, i have iced it and i strench about 3 times a day and i have the trainer at our school heat it and do some soft tissue work on that area. He says it shouldn't be anything big, but i took 4 days off and the pain hasn't eased up. please if you know anything about this let me know.(sorry if im changing the subject, i can post a new topic if anybody wants another random pain topic on here. thanks.
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

tim hutzley
PV Pro

Unread postby tim hutzley » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:40 am

I had PT for my whole junior year, I think the best thing I did was strengthening the muscles around it, like someone said earlier. Now ive got tendonitis in my hamstring tendon. That could be what polevaulter08nw has. From what you said about it.

polevaulter08nw
PV Master
Expertise: College Vaulter, Coach
Lifetime Best: 5.40
Favorite Vaulter: Renaud Lavillinie

Unread postby polevaulter08nw » Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:45 am

i hope not, i mean i havew talked to the trainer and im probably going to go to the docter soon, so we will see.
PR: 5.40
Indiana University '13
University of North Carolina '12

Return to “Pole Vault - Training”