dern the helmets!

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
PvaultinGirl
PV Whiz

dern the helmets!

Unread postby PvaultinGirl » Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:25 pm

:P it's now mandatory in my district that we all wear helmets to vault (stupidness) and so i'm lookin for some helmets that i can order online right now. the only site so far that i know of is shop.vaultstuff.com and the helmets are 43.00$ !! i don't want to spend 43 bucks on a helmet that i will hate and only wear twice a week.....anyone know of a website that sells vaults stuff like helmets?? thanks peeps...i appreciate this lol....i am gonna look so goofy in one of those helmets haha. :dazed:
POLE VAULTING....Fear is NOT and option!

zack

Unread postby zack » Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:20 pm

They're requiring you to wear helmets but not paying for them???
You could try gillathletics.com, mfathletic.com, springcoathletics.com, bellathletics.com might have them, advantageathletics.com. I would guess around $43 is what you'll have to pay.

theflyingkorean
PV Follower

Unread postby theflyingkorean » Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:29 am

Okay, while we're talking about helmets....

Awhile back(a few moths ago) I heard they were developing some type of helmet specifically for vaulters. Supposivly, it was going to be a cross between something and a lacross helmet. Has nyone heard any news on this of some sort or when a release date may be scheduled? Thanks a lot :D

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Fri Apr 18, 2003 1:35 am

yea....a lacrosse helmet is gonna help you out in a fall onto your head from 17' in the air.....

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:51 am

theflyingkorean wrote:Okay, while we're talking about helmets....

Awhile back(a few moths ago) I heard they were developing some type of helmet specifically for vaulters. Supposivly, it was going to be a cross between something and a lacross helmet. Has nyone heard any news on this of some sort or when a release date may be scheduled? Thanks a lot :D

Yes, "they" (the ASTM) are working on a standardized pole vault helmet. I have not heard anything yet about when it will be out or what it will look like.

theflyingkorean
PV Follower

Unread postby theflyingkorean » Fri Apr 18, 2003 6:48 pm

vaultguru6 wrote:yea....a lacrosse helmet is gonna help you out in a fall onto your head from 17' in the air.....

you don't have to get an attitude with me :( i was just repeating what i heard sheesh!

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

interesting what is the helmet for?

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:57 pm

1. You have a pole vault system that is bigger than most rooms 20' wide 22' long. (this is the average size) :yes:

2. No visible hard surfaces exposed or they are padded with 2"-4" of padding. (required) :yes:

3. You have a box collar just in case the pit is moved back the allowed 3" (required.) :yes:

4. You have a certified coach supervising your training. :yes:

5. You are on a vaulting pole rated at or above your body weight. (required) :yes:

What is the helmet for? :devil:
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

zack

Unread postby zack » Fri Apr 18, 2003 7:59 pm

Exactly what I'm thinking Bruce.

vaultguru6
PV Pro

Unread postby vaultguru6 » Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:10 pm

theflyingkorean wrote:
vaultguru6 wrote:yea....a lacrosse helmet is gonna help you out in a fall onto your head from 17' in the air.....

you don't have to get an attitude with me :( i was just repeating what i heard sheesh!

it has nothing to do with you. i understand its not your idea. i'm just remarking on what you heard. nothing personal.

vaulter580
PV Whiz

?

Unread postby vaulter580 » Fri Apr 18, 2003 8:19 pm

check bell athletics for a helment, i think that Earl has them for way cheaper than that.(like 20-bucks)

http://www.bellathletics.com
BZ
Arkansas State University
sign yo pitty on da runny kine!!!

Aviendha
PV Pro
Expertise: Current Collegiate Vaulter

Unread postby Aviendha » Sat Apr 19, 2003 11:17 am

lol...or maybe http://www.bellathletics.com would work better...never seen a website set up as www.http://... lol :P
~Why does everyone prefer those who lie and make themselves less than they are, rather than those who embrace who they are, rejoice in it, and refuse to pretend anything less?

Bruce Caldwell
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: It is all about Pole Vaulting. I even catch the competitors poles!
Lifetime Best: 15'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Kjell Issakson, Jan Johnson

Re: interesting what is the helmet for?

Unread postby Bruce Caldwell » Sat Apr 19, 2003 4:35 pm

ESSX wrote:1. You have a pole vault system that is bigger than most rooms 20' wide 22' long. (this is the average size) :yes:

2. No visible hard surfaces exposed or they are padded with 2"-4" of padding. (required) :yes:

3. You have a box collar just in case the pit is moved back the allowed 3" (required.) :yes:

4. You have a certified coach supervising your training. :yes:

5. You are on a vaulting pole rated at or above your body weight. (required) :yes:

What is the helmet for? :devil:

anybody wish to tell me?
I love the PV, it is in my DNA

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”