Scott Roth+Safety

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

BigStick Club
PV Nerd

Unread postby BigStick Club » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:59 pm

I know what you all are referring to as the PLZ, but what does that stand for?

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:08 pm

BigStick Club wrote:I know what you all are referring to as the PLZ, but what does that stand for?

Preferred Landing Zone

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:22 pm

Thanks Becca....cause I am sure I am one of many that was about to ask what PLZ stood for.
Man Up and Jump

BigStick Club
PV Nerd

Unread postby BigStick Club » Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:46 am

Thanks Becca.

Lax PV
PV Follower
Expertise: Former HS and college vaulter, college and HS level coaching, CSCS certified
Lifetime Best: 475
Favorite Vaulter: Tarasov

Unread postby Lax PV » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:02 am

Mecham wrote:Probably work more on planting. Not so much to the right, but more above his head. And also, that tuck and shoot isnt working too well. He keeps shooting right, so thats another reason. I'd work on getting that long swing leg all the way to the top of the pole. Something like that

Planting over your right shoulder isn't bad at all if you are right handed, it's actually good, cause it aligns your weight better. However, I do think that if he were to lower his grip just a little it would help in his penetration... its easier to roll a pole over that way.

dj
PV Enthusiast
Expertise: Coach

Unread postby dj » Fri Aug 26, 2005 3:19 pm

hello

does anyone know what pole he is on?? make..size...etc

dj
Come out of the back... Get your feet down... Plant big

lonestar
PV Lover

Unread postby lonestar » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:02 pm

dj wrote:hello

does anyone know what pole he is on?? make..size...etc

dj

CarbonFX - couldn't tell you the size or grip though.
Any scientist who can't explain to an eight-year-old what he is doing is a charlatan. K Vonnegut

sjsvaulter
PV Newbie

Unread postby sjsvaulter » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:25 pm

When Roth was interviewed at Clovis for a podcast, he said the size of his pole. I'm tempted to say it was a 16ft 180, but if you want to know for sure, you can go listen to the podcast at polevaultworld.com.

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Sat Aug 27, 2005 2:57 pm

I think you're right. he might of said something about a 175.... think... cause he broke it....im not sure
Just you wait...

fx
PV Whiz

Unread postby fx » Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:36 pm

in the video, it looks like during the swing, his legs start pointing to the right. Could it be that his swing is crooked to the right? i have never heard of this before.

altius
PV Rock Star

Unread postby altius » Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:38 pm

Take a look at where his left foot is at take off - then have a look at where his hands are immediately after take off. He was always going to the side of the pad.

Sounds like he was just having a bad day - but if it happens again some questions would need to be asked.
Its what you learn after you know it all that counts. John Wooden

tim hutzley
PV Pro

Unread postby tim hutzley » Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:32 pm

Do you know where he had his standards set at the state meet? They already seemed close around 40 or 30 and then all the officials were talking for a while and they moved them closer. We were watching that and thinking it was possible that they were putting the standards below 30 but maybe they just werent measuring right the first time. They do treat the northern cali people way better then the so cal people when your in Northern cali so I figured that they might break the rules for some who they like from northern california. I dont know though im just thinking.
dafox wrote:I've seen him jump 6 or 7 times this season, and I've never seen him be anywhere other than dead center (aside from the clovis vids). My guess is that (as said earlier) his plant looked a lil late, and therefore causing a fade to the right cause his hands arent all the way up.

remember.. you got a 16 yr old kid (or is he 17 now) jumpin his age (and more!). its not like he doesnt know how to vault. if he were at 9' and didnt have a clue of where he was in the air, I'd sit him and his coach down, but his father knows his stuff, and the kid is in control. We've all had off days and/or hairball jumps that kinda had us scratchin our heads as to what the heck happened there.

Heck, watchin Toby at USAs a ~month ago, he was warmin up on a small 14' or 15' from 3, and literally having to bail out of a jump so that his butt *barely* landed on the back of the pit before his feet hit the rubber behind the pit. He did this abt 3 times before they grabbed more padding and put it back there for him (and then others joined him!) to land on while clearingthe pit. Maybe we should sit Toby down and talk to him abt safety since he isnt landing in the PLZ? </sarcasm>

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”