Scott Roth+Safety

A forum to discuss pole vault technique as it relates to beginning vaulters. If you have been jumping less than a year, this is the forum for you.

Moderator: achtungpv

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Scott Roth+Safety

Unread postby MightyMouse » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:16 pm

I was checking out the Clovis video + not to long ago I watched the Jr Worlds of Scott Roth. I noticed that on most of his big jumps, Scott Lands less than 1ft from the cement. Barely on the pad. If you were an official at any of those meets what would you do? Talk to a kid about safety whos jumping that high? HOw about if you were his coach? What if the correction you figured out made him uncomfortable and he jumped lower?

heres some links of his video: http://www.neovault.com/mem_vv_clovis05 ... roth17.asp
http://www.neovault.com/mem_vv_clovis05 ... th17-6.asp
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

VaultMarq26
PV Lover
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, College Coach,

Unread postby VaultMarq26 » Sun Aug 14, 2005 11:45 pm

Wow, he is really close to missing. If I was his coach I would have a heart attack if that is how he always jumps!!!
Man Up and Jump

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Mon Aug 15, 2005 2:49 am

Probably work more on planting. Not so much to the right, but more above his head. And also, that tuck and shoot isnt working too well. He keeps shooting right, so thats another reason. I'd work on getting that long swing leg all the way to the top of the pole. Something like that
Just you wait...

DBH027
PV Nerd
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, Masters Vaulter, High School Coach, Former College Coach

Unread postby DBH027 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:57 am

I think his father coaches him....

bvpv07
PV Great
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Derek Miles

Unread postby bvpv07 » Mon Aug 15, 2005 3:56 pm

DBH027 wrote:I think his father coaches him....

he does

ryansanta
PV Whiz

Unread postby ryansanta » Mon Aug 15, 2005 5:19 pm

The other video I've seen of him (not from the street vault) at 17' something, he landed in the PLZ perfectly fine.

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Mon Aug 15, 2005 9:43 pm

2 jumps of him at Worlds showed him landing close to the edge. Im not saying he does it every time, but even if he only did it 1 out of 4 wouldnt you think thats unsafe?
19 Years Old

Petrov/Launder student

hallvaulter
PV Pro
Expertise: College Coach
Favorite Vaulter: Randy Hall

Unread postby hallvaulter » Mon Aug 15, 2005 11:42 pm

ive had the priveledge of jumping with roth a couple times, i saw the clovis video too, its not how he normally jumps though, i think he was just planting kinda late that day, i also believe he moved to 16' foot poles that night, which could affect him as well especially if he isnt getting his plant up, the tuck thing is right too though
Coach Bob Phillips

dafox
PV Whiz

Unread postby dafox » Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:47 am

I've seen him jump 6 or 7 times this season, and I've never seen him be anywhere other than dead center (aside from the clovis vids). My guess is that (as said earlier) his plant looked a lil late, and therefore causing a fade to the right cause his hands arent all the way up.

remember.. you got a 16 yr old kid (or is he 17 now) jumpin his age (and more!). its not like he doesnt know how to vault. if he were at 9' and didnt have a clue of where he was in the air, I'd sit him and his coach down, but his father knows his stuff, and the kid is in control. We've all had off days and/or hairball jumps that kinda had us scratchin our heads as to what the heck happened there.

Heck, watchin Toby at USAs a ~month ago, he was warmin up on a small 14' or 15' from 3, and literally having to bail out of a jump so that his butt *barely* landed on the back of the pit before his feet hit the rubber behind the pit. He did this abt 3 times before they grabbed more padding and put it back there for him (and then others joined him!) to land on while clearingthe pit. Maybe we should sit Toby down and talk to him abt safety since he isnt landing in the PLZ? </sarcasm>

Mecham
PV Lover

Unread postby Mecham » Tue Aug 16, 2005 2:05 pm

I was directing most of my opinion to the actual clovis vaults. I know roth can jump smack in the center. I've seen him jump in a few other videos. But i still stand on the tuck. (i'm trying to fix mine too)
Just you wait...

bjvando
PV Master
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, former college coach
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby bjvando » Tue Aug 16, 2005 8:16 pm

i was at clovis and i was surprised to see roth landing so shallow... but when his standards were at 40-30cm you're going to land shallow....

as dafox said, he normally lands in the "PLZ" as what i've seen this year...

in warm-ups he had a couple shallow landings and bail outs, and with the pressure of the crowd and having to perform while vaulting against the emerging elite..(while being 17!!) he just wanted to get results...

unofortunately choosing height over safety doesnt always work.... but he walked away with more knowledge than before...

bjv.
Head Coach- Victory Athletics (http://www.victoryathleticspv.com)

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:18 pm

Sorry I didnt mean for this to be a critique of Scott Roth, More of a discussion about Safety and what to do if someone is jumping crazy, even if they are good.
19 Years Old

Petrov/Launder student

Return to “Pole Vault - Beginning Technique”