Ryan Adler Accident 2005

Discussion about ways to make the sport safer and discussion of past injuries so we can learn how to avoid them in the future.
rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, I coach and officiate as life allows
Lifetime Best: 11'6"
World Record Holder?: Renaud Lavillenie
Favorite Vaulter: Casey Carrigan

Ryan Adler Accident 2005

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:24 am

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-rev ... 26017.html

Knoch pole vaulter in a coma following pole vault accident

By Bill Beckner Jr.
VALLEY NEWS DISPATCH
Wednesday, April 20, 2005

Knoch freshman Ryan Adler is in critical condition at Children's Hospital following a pole vaulting accident Monday during a meet at North Allegheny High School.

Adler's grandfather Carl Adler said Ryan is in a medicine-induced coma to keep down swelling on his brain. Adler reportedly missed the plant box and fell awkwardly to the mat early in the meet.

"When I left him (Tuesday) at the hospital, he looked like a little iceberg, stiff and cold," Carl Adler said. "His injury is quite severe. He's a boy any grandfather would be proud of. We're praying that he'll pull through."

Knoch boys track coach Wes Brahler said Adler never cleared the bar, which was set at 9 feet. The impact and angle at which Adler hit the mat may have caused the injury.

"He stalled out going into his jump and let go of the pole," Brahler said. "He fell on the pad, but didn't get up. It was the way he landed, shoulder-to-neck, I think."

Paramedics were called and arrived within 10 minutes, Brahler said.

Brahler said the National Pole Vault Committee is investigating the incident, "like it does whenever something like this occurs."

Carl Adler said Ryan's father, Dan, and his 19-year-old brother, Chris, are making arrangements to fly home from Thailand where they are performing missionary work for tsunami victims.

"They were going to come back in two weeks," Carl Adler said. "But there are emergency efforts to get them home now."

Adler's mother, Lisa, is a teacher in the South Butler School District. His sister, Maria, is a junior on the girls track team.

Brahler said the Knoch boys track team gathered for a prayer on the team bus Monday night following the meet.

"They initiated it all on their own. We have a great group of young men," Brahler said. "They rally around each other like brothers. They're very compassionate."

Knoch was scheduled to compete against Slippery Rock on Tuesday, but the meet was postponed due to lightning.

Brahler said his athletes are hoping to visit Adler. The team is scheduled to compete in the Butler Invitational on Friday.

Adler is the second WPIAL pole vaulter to suffer an injury during competition in less than a week. Mt. Pleasant's Ian Wirth broke his leg Friday when he landed, legs-first, after a vault attempt during the Latrobe Invitational.

"I've seen some wild things happen in the pole vault in my 15 years of coaching." Brahler said. "But in my experiences, (Adler's) situation is the most serious."

North Allegheny pole vault coach Rob Theissen could not be reached for comment Tuesday night.

Bill Beckner Jr. can be reached at bbeckner@tribweb.com or 724-224-2696.

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Re: Pennsylvania Vaulter in Coma

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:30 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:"He stalled out going into his jump and let go of the pole," Brahler said. "He fell on the pad, but didn't get up. It was the way he landed, shoulder-to-neck, I think."

Besmer says it best in Bring It, "NEVER let go of the pole."

Brahler said the National Pole Vault Committee is investigating the incident, "like it does whenever something like this occurs."

Umm I guess he means the pole vault development staff? Jan Johnson, the safety chair, keeps track of these things.

Adler is the second WPIAL pole vaulter to suffer an injury during competition in less than a week. Mt. Pleasant's Ian Wirth broke his leg Friday when he landed, legs-first, after a vault attempt during the Latrobe Invitational.

OK don't land on your feet either. Just ask the Russian girl who broke her leg at the Olympics :dazed:

achtungpv
PV Rock Star

Unread postby achtungpv » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:10 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:OK don't land on your feet either. Just ask the Russian girl who broke her leg at the Olympics :dazed:

That also ended Tarasov's career...and Dave Volz's 1st run at a pro career.
"You have some interesting coaching theories that seem to have little potential."

higherflyer
PV Nerd
Expertise: College, High School, Club Coach

Unread postby higherflyer » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:53 am

The first thing i tell all my vaulters.

rule #1 never ever let go of the pole
rule #2 never land on you're feet

MightyMouse
PV Follower

Unread postby MightyMouse » Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:40 am

This is a serious reminder that Unyielding surfaces are not the only way to hurt your self on the pole vault pit.
19 Years Old
Coach: Val Osipenko
"Hard work never goes to waste"
Petrov/Launder student

PVPirate26
PV Pro
Expertise: Former College Vaulter, High School Coach
Lifetime Best: 10'8"
Favorite Vaulter: Tim Mack

Unread postby PVPirate26 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:03 am

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
rainbowgirl28 wrote:"He stalled out going into his jump and let go of the pole," Brahler said. "He fell on the pad, but didn't get up. It was the way he landed, shoulder-to-neck, I think."

Besmer says it best in Bring It, "NEVER let go of the pole."

SO TRUE!!

wacky274
PV Follower

Unread postby wacky274 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:46 pm

I hope the best for him and his family. I wish as the pole vaulting community there was something that we could do to offer support to his family in their time of need.
Champions aren't made in gyms. Champions are made from something they have deep inside them-a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. - Muhammad Ali

Talent in cheaper than table salt. What separates the talented individual from the successful one is a lot of hard work.
-Stephen King

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:08 pm

I'll email the article author and see if he has an address for the family.

izzystikchik
PV Follower
Location: MARQUETTE UNIVERSITY in Milwaukee, WI. ~ My home town is in OakPark, IL

Unread postby izzystikchik » Wed Apr 20, 2005 2:36 pm

rainbowgirl28 wrote:
rainbowgirl28 wrote:"

OK don't land on your feet either. Just ask the Russian girl who broke her leg at the Olympics :dazed:

Who was the Russian girl? Name?

USMC Vaulter
PV Pro

Unread postby USMC Vaulter » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:16 pm

Well Russia can only send 3 vaulters to the Olympics - so since it wasnt Isinbayeva or Feofanova, then it had to have been Anastasiya Ivanova. I also checked the results and during the quals she only took 2 of her attempts at 4.40m so I'm pretty sure she's the one.
Matthew Savini
DCHS Vault Coach
www.HighVaultage.com

Scott Go Pre
PV Lover
Expertise: Former college vaulter, and high school coach
Lifetime Best: 4.88m
Favorite Vaulter: Toby Stevenson

Unread postby Scott Go Pre » Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:07 pm

Hope you get well soon Ryan. My thoughts and prayers go out to you!
Rely upon God with all your heart, do not rely on your own insight. ~ Proverbs 3:5

rainbowgirl28
I'm in Charge

Unread postby rainbowgirl28 » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:40 am

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05111/491908.stm

Knoch High pole vaulter still in coma after fall

Injured in meet Monday

Thursday, April 21, 2005
By Chuck Finder, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

A Knoch High School freshman remained in guarded condition in a medically induced coma at Children's Hospital yesterday after a brain injury that could be the most serious accident in American pole vaulting since three fatalities -- including a Penn State athlete -- caused national rule changes three years ago.

Ryan Adler, 15, was hurt at a WPIAL section meet Monday at North Allegheny High School while attempting to clear 9 feet, apparently stalling in mid-jump and landing head-and-shoulders first in the padded plant box -- the hole where the pole is plunged to propel a vaulter skyward.

"That's a pretty good fall," said Knoch track coach Wes Brahler, who was elsewhere at the meet and didn't see Adler fall, though Adler's mother, Lisa, a teacher in that South Butler district, did witness the incident. "And he came down upside down."

Brahler praised the efforts of North Allegheny officials, the school's trainer and an unidentified physician in the stands. He said that doctor cleared Adler's airways and stabilized his head, neck and back until an ambulance arrived minutes later. Adler, who didn't regain consciousness, was placed in a comatose state by doctors in an attempt to prevent swelling in his brain.

"We have Ryan in our thoughts and prayers," said Brahler, who never before had an athlete so seriously injured in 16 years as Knoch's track coach. "Our boys are very compassionate. They're taking this to heart."

Adler had roughly six weeks of training at the high school and met with enough success to clear 10 feet, 6 inches in practice. He enjoyed the event so much that he told his mother he wanted to become the finest pole vaulter in Knoch history.

Although it isn't mandatory by the WPIAL's governing body, the PIAA, Brahler is accredited by the Pole Vault Safety Certification Board. That national organization is one of the many U.S.A. Track and Field offshoots that played a role in improving the event's safety standards in the wake of the deaths of Penn State pole vaulter Kevin Dare and two high school vaulters in early 2002.

Dare, 19, from Port Matilda, Pa., was killed after jumping at the Big Ten indoor track championships in February 2002, a tragedy sandwiched between the deaths of Jesus Queseda, 16, of Clewiston, Fla., and Samoa Fili, 17, of Wichita, Kan. With Dare's father, Ed, and Penn State athletic director Tim Curley helping to lead the way, sweeping changes were made in the event from the Olympic level to high schools.

Jan Johnson, chairman of the USA Track and Field pole vault safety committee and a 1972 Olympic bronze medalist in the event, said under the new rules the pit was widened by 41/2 feet and lengthened by 5 feet, the plant box was padded and an angular pad was added around the entire landing area. The changes seemed to work, particularly in an event with 47 catastrophic -- life-threatening or debilitating -- injuries since 1971 and 17 high school deaths plus 14 other serious injuries since 1983, making it by the low percentage of competitors an even more dangerous sport than football in America.

"We've gone for two solid years with nothing," Johnson said of permanent or serious injuries. "It says to me that we really fixed this thing in a good way."

Then came this accident. Johnson will help to lead the safety committee's investigation into what happened Monday, though he said that likely will be delayed at least six months before starting "because we must be sensitive to the needs of the family and the school district."

This marked the second pole vault accident in the WPIAL in less than a week, with a Mount Pleasant athlete breaking a leg after landing on his feet after a jump Friday at an invitational at Latrobe. WPIAL executive director Larry Hanley said meet officials and coaches Monday at North Allegheny seemed to follow proper procedures, including signing a pole vault verification form that details the weight and pole of each vaulter -- the equipment needs to jibe, and bend, to specifications for the size of the athlete. That form also was a byproduct of the 2002 national changes.

Helmets, while not guaranteed by manufacturers as a safety precaution beyond a fall of 7 feet or so, are required by high school federations in six states: Minnesota, Maine, New Mexico, North Dakota, South Carolina and Wisconsin. Pole vault certification and training, such as Brahler attained, is mandated in 10 states, including neighboring New York. The PIAA offers help in certification, but neither that nor helmets are required.

Hanley said WPIAL schools participating in track were quick to adopt the new padding requirements three years ago, even at great expense, and some schools offer helmets to their vaulters.

"Pole vaulting is a rather unique art," he said. "Like a lot of athletic endeavors, it still has some potential for problems."

With Adler in intensive care yesterday, his father, Dan, and older brother, Chris, were still trying to return from Thailand where they were building houses as part of tsunami relief. His sister, Maria, is a sprinter on the Knoch girls' team. She was warming up for a race when her brother fell.

Return to “Pole Vault Safety”